• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Front Wheel Bearing

Motor unit 7

Fire Don't Burn
Has anyone replaced the bearings in a 2004 Rt I have a front wheel vibration and ordered the bearings, but it look like there is some extra tools needed to remove the one bearing.

Is there an alternate way of removal them I can do to get the old ones out, as they are not the same size and different form the standard removal of wheel bearings according to the BMW manual except for the heat.

The factory manual is here somewhere to download. Explains it well. Maybe someone can provide the link.

I don't know what the clymers or Hayes manual says about how to do this but it seem pretty straight forward

36 31 396 Removing and installing
wheel bearings
36 31 Removing wheel bearings
• Carefully lever out the shaft sealing ring with a
screwdriver.
• Remove driver and retaining ring.
• Clamp a drift, BMW No. 36 5 511, into the vise and
place the wheel on it with the wide bearing down.
• Place a spacing ring, BMW No. 36 6 640, between
the wheel hub at the right and the claws of
the internal puller.
• Heat the bearing seat to approx. 60 ??C (140 ??F).
• Pull out the wheel bearing with countersupport
22/1, BMWNo. 00 8 572, and internal
puller 21/3, BMWNo. 00 8 574.
• Remove wheel from drift, BMW No. 36 5 511.
• Press out spacing bushing (1) and wheel
bearing (2) with drift, BMWNo. 36 5 530.
R28360030
R28360020

36 31 Installing wheel bearings
• Degrease bearing seats.
• Heat the bearing seat to approx. 60 ??C (140 ??F).
• First insert wide bearing using drift,
BMW No. 36 5 512 , and handle,
BMW No. 00 5 500.
• Clamp a drift, BMWNo. 36 5 511, into the vise
and place the wheel on it with the wide
bearing (1) down.
• Install spacer tube (2).
• Bearing seat temperature 60 ??C (140 ??C).
• Insert narrow bearing (3) with drift,
BMW No. 36 5 512, and handle,
BMW No. 00 5 500.
• Install circlip with convex side facing down.
• Install driver.
• Drive in shaft sealing ring with drift,
BMW No. 36 5 500, and handle,
BMW No. 00 5 500.

Wheel Bearings

Thank you I do have the BMW Manual but do not have the special tools and I don't think many do especially the internal puller and drift the special BMW tools.

Was wondering it other tools would do and how?

But thanks for the info so far!

Just curious- have you already checked for play in the bearings, or did you (or someone else) just assume that the vibration is a bearing issue?

wheel bearing

Yes I did! also have Micro beads in the tire the vibration is not bad but there and a defined bad spot as you move the wheel.

Buy about 9 BMW special tools to replace a wheel bearing? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just ask the chairman of the board of BMW to come to your house and do the job for you?

wheel bearing

Thanks Jim I may know some one that has that kind of tool which would make the job easier the rest I think I can mock up to do the job depending on the bearing sizes.

It used to be a simple job but BMW had to change it to make things "BETTER"?

I've got a bearing puller like Jim above mentioned. Heating the bearing seat is what really makes things smooth pulling the bearings. Also what I did was put the new bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes or so before heating the bearing seat and pressing the bearings in. Works very well.

Back