• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1993 K75S White Smoke

DarrenP

First time posting as I have had a good run up to this point with the bike. Now, unfortunately, I am at a loss as to what to do...

1993 K75S with about 2k miles on it. Original owner. Was running fine, as I use it twice a week to commute a few miles to work, until it tipped over to the right side in the garage. Cracked the upper fairing and saddle bag. Got the replacement parts and it is all back to 100% cosmetically.

When the bike fell over though, it leaked out oil from the filler cap. Not a lot, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. Well, in the haze of being pissed off and upset, I got the bike back up and started it up right away. Started fine and ran with no issues for a couple of minutes. In the meantime, I had the bike towed up to the local dealer to have an ABS problem fixed. They checked over the bike and said all looked okay. Fixed the ABS issue, test rode it and gave me the bike back.

Trailered the bike back yesterday. When I got home, I started the bike and it billowed white smoke out of the tail pipe. Figured it could be that they had it on then side-stand for awhile. Idling fine, no warning lights, no roughness. Smoke dissipated then started right back up. Turned it off. Checked the oil glass and it looked low. Opened up the oil cap and you could smell smoke and a burning smell from inside the engine, oil was present though low. Added oil. Restarted. No smoke for a minute or two then white smoke again. Can detect no smell of coolant and reservoir level the same, half way in between min/max.

At a loss as to what this could be.... Head gasket, oil/water pump gasket, oil leak, did I possibly cook the valves etc.?

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated before I take another trip to the dealer.

Thanks to everyone who might respond!

How far have you RIDEN it since you got it back from the dealer?

It sounds like not at all. In fact, 2000 miles since 1993? You've NEVER really riden it.

The rings probably aren't even broken in (actually they're probably glazed). So you have less oil control than a normal bike.

If I leave one of my bikes on the side stand after a ride, sometimes it will take a quarter mile or more to burn off the oil that got into the combustion chamber. Yours would probably take more.

Do you know how to check the coolant level AT THE RADIATOR CAP (under the front of the tank) not at the overflow bottle? If the coolant level is up to the bottom of the RADIATOR CAP and the oil level is good, go for a ride. Watch your odometer. If the smoke is still there after 3 MILES, then you might have a problem. But if it's oil smoke, it's not hurting anything while you're testing it.

I really think you'll be fine. You've probably just got a lot of oil in the chambers. It should burn off, IF YOU RIDE IT.

Put some miles and smiles on that bike!!!!

:dance:dance:dance

Does it really only have only 2000 total engine/frame time?

If it does, then it is no wonder that the engine still stinks of "something heated" or "cooking".

First - welcome to the site. As Lee said, at 2K that bike is barely even beginning to be broken in, wish I could say the same about mine!

When I got home, I started the bike and it billowed white smoke out of the tail pipe. Figured it could be that they had it on then side-stand for awhile. Idling fine, no warning lights, no roughness. Smoke dissipated then started right back up. Turned it off. Checked the oil glass and it looked low. Opened up the oil cap and you could smell smoke and a burning smell from inside the engine, oil was present though low. Added oil. Restarted. No smoke for a minute or two then white smoke again. Can detect no smell of coolant and reservoir level the same, half way in between min/max.

This all sounds pretty normal :) My old K75S was parked in downtown DC for much of its life and unfortunately it was knocked over several times. Twice I came out in the morning to find it on its side, and it would do the same as yours - furiously smoke on and off for some time, to the point I thought I would foul the plugs, but over the course of a few miles spirited riding it would burn it off. I always thought it was from oil going backwards through the crankcase breather hose but who knows.

Going forward make sure the oil level, while the bike has been resting on the centerstand on level pavement for 10 minutes or so, is right at or juuuust above the red dot in the middle of the sightglass. A little oil goes a long way bringing it from the bottom to the middle, be careful not to add too much.

As for how you like to ride (or not ride) your bike ... well, it is your bike - ride your own ride, enjoy it your way, and ignore the rest.

White smoke is usually a water leak, like a blown gasket. I'd look there first.

The only water leak that would cause smoke would be a head gasket.

2000 miles, tipped over in garage would NOT cause a blown head gasket!

Ride the bike for a few miles. It should be fine.

That used to be a Field Event

I swear I have been to Rally's where they had the K-Bike "Smoke Out"!!!

Lay the K on its left side for a minute or two and then lift it and start, the one with the most smoke advanced just like a slow race only the crowd judged the winner.

Ride it at least 15 miles at one stretch and burn all that residual oil out of the exhaust system and you should be fine.

On the outside chance you have a head gasket or internal coolant leak just keep an eye on the engine temp and make sure your radiator fan comes on when it should.

2000 miles???? that can't be good for it!!!

Suggestions

While I agree with Lee that how much you ride your bike is really all your business and noone else's I wonder if you've ever taken it out on the open road or freeway and run her at real speed for any length of time?

Seeems like a really good idea to me for three reasons;

1)burn out that oil that may still lurking where it shouldn't.

2) get those rings seated properly

3) lubricate the seals before they dry out and crack

My 2 centavos worth and hope it helps you!

The only water leak that would cause smoke would be a head gasket.

2000 miles, tipped over in garage would NOT cause a blown head gasket!

No matter the cause, it's prolly a head gasket. White smoke isn't what typically comes out of a k75. I have one, I know all about that smoking problem.

I also had a goldwing with a bad head gasket. White smoke.

First off I want to say thanks to everyone who responded. The consensus seems to be that I probably had oil leak down in the pistons from when it tipped over as well as being on the side-stand at the dealer.

After I posted the message this morning, I went out and started the bike before leaving for work. Well, low and behold, no smoke other than a small puff or two after idling for about five minutes or so on the center stand. Made going to work a lot easier knowing that maybe it is something simple.

Also had a chance to go by Quality Auto and Motorcycle Repair in Alexandria, VA (repair portion of EUBMW.COM) to get an oil filter and oil and asked Khan the owner what he though. EXACT same response as most everyone gave on this forum. Did tell me, though, that if it persists, to come by and he will have a look. Maybe a gasket but as he said, depending on where the piston stopped when it was shut off and placed on the side stand, a lot or just a little oil drained in.

As far as to why the I trailered it home from the dealer, I just got the fairing back from the painter (absolutely the best around....he is the bike painter for BOB's BMW as well as for many classic auto's though I go directly to him saving $$$$) while the bike was at the shop. Did not feel like riding home from Rockville with the wires hanging out and the headlight portion not securely attached. Already f-ed up the bike by having it tip over so why risk it....

Anyway, glad I joined the forum as the wealth of knowledge I got in just a few short hours has been invaluable. Thanks again to all....

Anyway, glad I joined the forum as the wealth of knowledge I got in just a few short hours has been invaluable. Thanks again to all....

I guess this means you're not pope anymore, but I raise a chalice to you anyway. :drink

No matter the cause, it's prolly a head gasket. White smoke isn't what typically comes out of a k75.

Prolly not.

White-ish smoke is what comes out of EVERY K75 that I have ever seen smoke from sidestand sitting and I have 5 of them. But, I haven't seen yours. :dunno

I'll bet that yours is such a light grey that some people like the OP would call it white. It's not brown and it's not black.

I'll bet that yours is such a light grey that some people like the OP would call it white. It's not brown and it's not black.

Why would you say that without seeing it? Mine is more black than brown, not even close to white.

The oh so loveable K75 sidestand smoke from my old K75S and my current K75RT is light grey/white. Thick, grey/white smoke that unmistakably smells like burning oil. Not the pungent, sickly burned-sweet smell from burning coolant, but the "the troops are hitting the beach" thick greyish white smoke from burning oil.

Usually not a problem when out on the street, not such a treat when in a high-security underground parking facility :)

Why would you say that without seeing it? Mine is more black than brown, not even close to white.

Experience.

Sounds like yours has other issues like possibly running too rich.:dunno
Do you get a lot of black buildup on the end of the muffler?

Last edited:
Back