• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

VIN plate - how to bend it

OK, small triumph for me in figuring out a good way to get this done.

My /2 came with a VIN tag that wasn't original. I got one from vech, and it was flat and needed holes drilled. The big problem was bending the plate to the proper curve. It's just thick enough that it's hard to do, and do completely.

So here's my trick, with an admittedly poor photo. I'd do one thing differently, if I was going to do it again.

Get a 32mm socket, and put it in a vice, as in the picture. What I'd do differently, if I was going to do it again, I'd put a piece of cardbord between the socket and the jaws of the vice. The socket has to be deep enough in the vice so that you have enough room to put the side of the VIN plate between the jaws and the socket. Then bend, and turn it around to bend it the other way. The cardboard would be to ensure that you don't scratch up the plate. And there you have it!

Attachments

• Vice pic.jpg
    Vice pic.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 80
Rivets ? The VIN plate is attached with slotted screws . Tamper proof

I've got a 74 /6 so things may be completely different but the vin plate on mine seemed to be riveted in place. If those were slotted screws than they had zero threads in them. (/2 's I know nothing about so my apologies for thread pollution)

Back