• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 R1200RT-gel battery life?

pv_bmw

I bought a new BMW gelcell battery in May of 2011, temperature in KS dropped this last week, so I plugged charger in last night. Last rode on Wednesday, the 3rd, but when I unplugged it this am to go to work, it would not turn over. So I plugged it in and it started, took charger to work and left it plugged in all day, but red and green light stayed on all day. Plugged it in when I got home and both lights are still on, wonder if anyone has had to replace a gellcell this soon? Dealer was closed today, so I will check it in the morning, but plan to keep charger with me till I find something out. Does a gelcell battery take longer to charge than an acid base battery? Thoughts?:dunno

There are no guaranties when it comes to batteries. And I am not talking about warranty.
You can have 2 batteries manufactured on the same day in the same place and one will last 7 years and the next will last 3 months.

Tighter tolerances during manufacturing do help but are still no absolute guarantee.
I pulled out my original Gelcell (manufacturing date showed late 2004, as I purchased the bike 2nd hand) just around 4~5 months ago. Not because it had dropped it's capacity to start and run the bike, but rather as a pure precaution.
But I also live in a mild climate.
Replaced it with a 680 Odyssey and I did not see any improvement in cranking.

I would suggest to go back to your dealer and hope that he will replace it for free or at least offer you a replacement with a large discount.
But you really have to check yourself or get the dealer to check your electrical condition, either for parasitic current draw, charging issues or simply too high a current draw due to too many high current accessories.

This morning when I checked it, only the green light was on, so battery appears to be charged. bike started up, I rode to work, but brought (BMW) charger with me. I think I may get lucky this time. Thanks for your response.

Back