• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Optimate 4 charger and the 2012 RT

Hammam

I bought the Optimate 4 charger to maintain my 2012 R1200 RT's battery because of its capacity to do it through the Can-Bus system. My dealer advised me against using it in Can-Bus mode, for some obscure reason (maybe to help them sell the 4 times more expensive BMW tender.) Can someone tell me of their experience with the Optimate 4, especially in Can-Bus mode? Does it actually charge? Are there any dangers to the Can-Bus system involved? I know that in Can-Bus mode, the Optimate 4 does not go through the desulfation process (when detected) and limits itself to 16 V., but apart from that?

Thank you.

I have been using the canbus model for over 18 months on my 2011 1200gs no issues at all, it does it's thing desulfating the battery weekly, only issue is GPS must be disconnected or it starts every time charger kicks in
on my 2012 1600 dealer recommends not charging though factory outlet seems their a issue with bike computer that BMW has not addressed, installed a power outlet direct to battery and run charger through it. Again not a problem with the optimate charger, issue is with bike

I used the Optimate 4 last winter connected to my 2011 1200RT and everything seemed fine. Bike fired up after 4 1/2 months of sitting idle. Used the factory outlet for connection.

Thanks for your replies. I do have an outlet that leads directly to he battery, but I have to retrieve it where it's nestled down and under, next to the left pannier. I like the convenience of using the Can-Bus outlet, which sits right up there on the left fairing, . At my age, anything that prevents bending down, or crouching or kneeling is welcome ;)

Back