• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Filling snowflake tires

jforgo

Tonite I was again struggling with putting air in my Snowflakes. Because of the holes being so close to the spokes, it is almost impossible to get my air chuck to line up square with the valve stems. Then you hear all the air going out, rather than going in.
So what have people done about this. Thin air chucks? Tubes with angled valve stems? Drill new valve stem holes not so close to spokes? ?

What kind of head is on your air chuck? Would one with a 45 degree head help you get in easier? I'd be reluctant to put a 90 degree adapter on permanently, as it might put undo strain on the stem itself. While you might be able to do something for your home-fill situation, you need something for when you're on the road.

I have one of those small battery powered (hooks up to battery auxiliary pig tail plug which I also use with battery tender) which naturally has a small chuck that screws onto valve stem. Seems to work for me and you can always have it handy since it fits in a small pouch.

I've always just loosened nut holding stem tight to rim enough to allow stem to angle away from wheel spoke. then hand tighten after inflating tire.

I've always just loosened nut holding stem tight to rim enough to allow stem to angle away from wheel spoke. then hand tighten after inflating tire.

Ooooh, shall we start the "discussion" about nut on the stem tightened to the rim or to the cap? :lurk On second, thought, maybe not!! :bolt

When I was riding my R65 on a regular basis I had a right angled air chuck with the stem from
an old innertube projecting from the inlet end - took two hands to fill a tire - one to hold the
angled chuck against the wheel air stem and the other to hold the service station straight on
chuck against the angled chuck I had constructed

Worked well and didn't take much space in tool tray and worked well - can't find it now to take picture and the R65 is in storage waiting for ambition to fix numerous minor problems

Back