• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Final Drive Installation R1100RT

drh205

I thought I'd wrap up my first spline lube this week end until I came to the part of re-installing the final drive.
I've been trying without success to get the splined shaft of the final drive to slide into the drive shaft.

Are there any tricks that make the job easier?
I'm working by myself which I'm sure does make it more complicated.

After 2 days of this I'm re-thinking chain drives!

I thought I'd wrap up my first spline lube this week end until I came to the part of re-installing the final drive.
I've been trying without success to get the splined shaft of the final drive to slide into the drive shaft.

Are there any tricks that make the job easier?
I'm working by myself which I'm sure does make it more complicated.

After 2 days of this I'm re-thinking chain drives!

Take a shop rag or thick bandanna. Fold first into a triangle and then roll it into a tube. Then starting at one end roll it up until the roll is just thick enough to stick under the driveshaft to prop it up to center the driveshaft in the housing, with a tail hanging out the opening. Once the FD is installed you will pull the rag out using that tail.

Once the driveshaft is centered in the swingarm opening the splines can be inserted.

You still need to align the splines. I do it with the transmission in gear.

To make the splines line up more easily I put a couple of wheel bolts back in the hub. That way I can turn the final drive a little to make the splines line up.

I recommend you properly phase the driveshaft Universal Joints too.

Thanks Paul.
I did try a shop rag but not folded the way you suggest. Also, the bike was in neutral, not in gear.

Now for what I did do right; I put bolts in the hub and marked the two shafts showing the universal joints properly phased (plus I have a flashlight to shine up the swing arm to confirm the alignment).

Thanks Paul.
I did try a shop rag but not folded the way you suggest. Also, the bike was in neutral, not in gear.

Now for what I did do right; I put bolts in the hub and marked the two shafts showing the universal joints properly phased (plus I have a flashlight to shine up the swing arm to confirm the alignment).

Good job!

Get the shaft centered, tranny in gear, and then get the splines engaged.

I use a big punch through the pivot hole on one side to sort of hold things until I can get a pivot started on the other side. A spare set of hands even just to hold a punch or big allen wrench in one pivot hole is very helpful.

i hang the FD from the subframe, usig some zipties thru the brake caliper mounting holes a cinch strap. adjust its alignment height via the cinch strap. that, or support it from underneath as Jim suggested- but not having to both hold and align the FD assy at the same time makes it waaay easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm confident that when I try to pop it in will be tomorrow night I'll be successful.

. . . and that my next spline lube will be much much quicker!

Back