• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No Monumental Rides

miairhead

I don't do the Apls, or ride for 1000 mile days: see how fast I can take the Dragon.
Nope none of that, just rides to places I never been when away from home turf.
With a 150 mile tank, it makes you stop every few hours and get something to drink, and maybe chew on. I mostly ride alone, most of my riding buddies don't ride like I do. 100 mile day is a long one for them.

I sometimes go down to Ohio, pick up my 38 year old son who rides a KLR, and we will find places to ride in southern OH. This weekend rain or not we will go down to WV, stay a couple of nights out playing on roads with lots of curves.
My son also races bicycles, so he tends to ride a little faster then me, he might even be a better rider due to his bicycle riding, and the 100 miles days he rides that bicycle.

I just like rides at my pace. I recently went for an 84 R100RT, to a 2004 CLC. This is taking some getting use to, but I miss the ease of the 84 sometimes. The CLC does do nicely, and has all those bells and etc.: Only the parking lots turns do you really notice the heaviness of the MC. If I get stuck on a interstate the CLC is a lot nicer I must admitt.

So monumental, earth shaking, rides, just 300 miles days at 7+/- miles over must speed limits. Of course a hidden smile and a wave at every 2 wheeler I see.

the joy of riding, near the same here but i will usually do 500 miles a day in a trip. find a historical stop or some diners, drive-ins and dive locations along the two lane highways to visit. ridin' is satisfying.

I don't do the Apls, or ride for 1000 mile days: see how fast I can take the Dragon.
Nope none of that, just rides to places I never been when away from home turf.
With a 150 mile tank, it makes you stop every few hours and get something to drink, and maybe chew on. I mostly ride alone, most of my riding buddies don't ride like I do. 100 mile day is a long one for them.

I sometimes go down to Ohio, pick up my 38 year old son who rides a KLR, and we will find places to ride in southern OH. This weekend rain or not we will go down to WV, stay a couple of nights out playing on roads with lots of curves.
My son also races bicycles, so he tends to ride a little faster then me, he might even be a better rider due to his bicycle riding, and the 100 miles days he rides that bicycle.

I just like rides at my pace. I recently went for an 84 R100RT, to a 2004 CLC. This is taking some getting use to, but I miss the ease of the 84 sometimes. The CLC does do nicely, and has all those bells and etc.: Only the parking lots turns do you really notice the heaviness of the MC. If I get stuck on a interstate the CLC is a lot nicer I must admitt.

So monumental, earth shaking, rides, just 300 miles days at 7+/- miles over must speed limits. Of course a hidden smile and a wave at every 2 wheeler I see.

I do something similar but I seldom ride alone. There are a group of old f*rts (mid 60s to mid to upper 70s). WeI ride with about once a week. Fortunately, we live in a good place for riding crooked mountain roads. We meet for breakfast at a local restaurant and we decide where or which direction we are going to ride as we eat. Our rides are generally 150-225 miles. We ride until we find a good place to eat lunch. After we have lunch, we wander back home on a different route. Our little group ranges from 3 to 6 with BMWs and Harleys about equally mixed. We have a similar riding style and generally ride about 5 MPH over the speed limit.

I normally ride my R1200CLC but if the roads are going to be exceptionally crooked, I sometimes ride my R80RT. It took me a while to get used to the CLC but after nearly 6 years of riding it, I like it better than any of the dozen or so bikes I have had.

Interesting posts. I normally ride alone. Living in a County that covers over 3,200 square miles (about 80% of which is National Forest land, and some of which is Wilderness areas) and has a population of less than 14K. The town I live in is only about 1,800 folks, so there are not many other riders to hook up with. I don't have much time to just "take off and ride", so the vast majority of my riding is basic transportation. Reducing ones carbon footprint while having fun and saving on fuel costs.....what more could one want! I am fortunate that there are only three roads to get out of my mountain valley town, and all take me into rugged mountain twisties within ten minutes of home.

I'm not looking to race, and I do like to enjoy the great scenery. I try to keep my riding level at about 70% of what I think I am capable of. Lots of deer around those blind corners, and if you manage to swerve around a deer, you will probably hit the second deer. I do however, work on improving my riding skills, and am currently reading and working on the skills presented in "Proficient Motorcycling". I have an R12C, and find it perfect for my riding. It great torque makes mountain riding easy with far less shifting. I my previous life I have had other Boxers (R69 & R75) and rode numerous other machines. I think this one is a keeper.

I never ride 'alone' but it is usually just one bike. The GF is always with me and I like it that way. I have a few friends with bikes, (Harleys and a few with FJR's) but they never seem to have time. The FJR buddies do ride though as one of them has about 125000 miles on his 06 model! Just never have time to 'just ride'.

I like a day trip of 200 miles, and if I'm on a road trip, about 350 is as far as I want to ride in a day.

I would love to go 'abroad' to ride, but there are plenty of things in this country I haven't seen yet!

I guess I just finished a Monumental ride....

Monument Valley Utah
SAM_1612.jpg

Incredible country isn't it? I have looped through there a few times and keep coming back. Love to stay over night at the San Jaun Inn in Mexican Hat... then tackle Moki Dugway the next day. ;)

:blah

No monumental rides for this old boy, but I do refuse to give up my R1100S. Took retirement early, after nine heart surgeries. Doctors told my wife I had a 50/50 chance of survival, and a 90% chance of permanent brain damage, after the last episode. But yet, 14 years later, I'm still six feet over and walking upright. Only have stamina for about 300 mile days, but when I get the chance I still do 'em!

So most of my rides these days are shortish, mostly on backroads close to home. But sure has been a nice extended summer here in the great Pacific Northwet!

Boy, do I LOVE to ride. :dance

I live in an area where the land is flat and the roads usually meet at right angles. I love to ride, but I seldom use the bikes for errands. I simply do not go for afternoon rides. In fact I can not ride unless I have a destination, whether it be an art exhibit in Boston, or a TV film set out west or meeting up with friends several provinces or states away. Last year I rode to both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. So living where I do, I prefer monumental rides. :dance

I envy those of you with really good riding roads in your immediate area. :thumb

I became inpressed with WV

I go down to Mid-Ohio often, son lives down there and I ride to his bicycle races and help out sometimes. First Beemer trip to West Virginia and it was a great ride. I don't see how fast I can make a curve or make sure I in front. Just a gentle ride, fast enough to enjoy: not to challenge my bikes maximum abilities.

I just like riding on curves, as opposed to the 4 lane flat slab. Took 800 to SR 26 down to Williamstown, WV, and then road around some great roads. Stopped places that I never find again, with a 4.5 gallon tank about 140 miles before gas (was time to stop anyway). Roads were good shape and very nice scenery, just a great weekend. Trees starting to change, and no bugs. Only one alive deer, couple that had meet their fate. Stopped at the WV tourist information rest area, was told that the 'Governor' was closing the Ohio location. Got some very good riding information, too bad this is closing. Maybe the pamphlets can be found on line.

On the way back Ohio 555 was not a very good road, surface was poor, and there was traffic (mostly farmers). Even some white stuff on road that made me think I had cut a tire. Had to ride very slow till I could find a safe place to stop, by then power was gone. Did stop at Weasel Boy Brewing, Zanesville, OH for one beer. I think SR 26 was a much more enjoyable ride.

Riding in Ohio

I was going to ask if you have been on Ohio 800 when I see that you mentioned it.
It's one of my favorites.
Near Zainesville is the "National Road Museum." I found it interesting.

RVing and hating it

Drove down to Croydon, IN saw bikes all day, and here I am in a 34 ft box. Wife of course does not ride, so no bike here. Just a big old box. Bikes looked like a great day for them, enjoying the last of warm weather in Indiana.

Guess last weekend will have to last till I can get home and fire up old black and chrome.

I had two "monumental" to me, rides this year. I went solo to the rally in Sedalia and I rode through Ontario to Mackinaw City to meet up with my husband.

As big trips go, they were great. However, they don't compare to my trip last weekend to West Virginia. We go there at least once or twice a year with no real plan. There is nothing better than challenging myself through the twisties - especially when I'm riding my A-game! What a rush! 331 is the most miles in one day - no big deal. But the leaves were turning, traffic was light, no cell/internet service and the company of my great hubby. That, to me, is the my most monumental ride this year.

Worst thing about a box

I using a 34 ft box this week for a visit in Tennessee all the way down from Michigan.
Some very good MC roads were wonder on in this box, some only inches wider then the 8 ft width.
Even went by a event at Loretta Lynn's little place ( she owns 6500 acres- not a miss print) http://www.amsoil.com/supercross/lorettalynns/lorettalynns.aspx

I sure miss my Beemer, last week riding on some of the best roads in America: this week in a great big box, getting 8 mpg.

This season I've ridden 11,400 kms to date and the furthest I've gotten from home is about 100 - 125 kms. Last season same thing riding about 12,000 kms. including one ride to Ottawa and back for 800 kms. The year before, about 12,000 kms. including one ride to Sudbury and back for 800 kms. Still haven't done the monumental ride to some place. Maybe next season.

I using a 34 ft box this week for a visit in Tennessee all the way down from Michigan.
Some very good MC roads were wonder on in this box, some only inches wider then the 8 ft width.
Even went by a event at Loretta Lynn's little place ( she owns 6500 acres- not a miss print) http://www.amsoil.com/supercross/lorettalynns/lorettalynns.aspx

I sure miss my Beemer, last week riding on some of the best roads in America: this week in a great big box, getting 8 mpg.

Our 20' box also carries two bikes:whistle

Back