• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R75/5 H4 headlight?

IMG_4600.jpg

The set up I got from Hucky is "chrome" on the back side. Not really chrome but simply the bare, metalized plastic. This white paint, or whatever it is, would seem to be an improvement over what I have. And yes, now would be a good time to paint the back of the reflector. I s'pose.

Josh, tonight's my last night on a night shift schedule. I'll be down at the shop tomorrow afternoon and pull my head light out and take a look. After six weeks of 6-day, twelve hours shifts, I can barely recall my name, let alonewhat the spring is for...
09.gif

edit -
Okay, here's the deal.... funky as it is. The spring appears on it's way to sawing it's way into the back of the reflector (hard to see on this chrome surface, but the spring rides on the back of the reflector) I expect that, at some point in the future, the small lug with the hole in it (that the spring attaches to) will crack around it's base. Make sure you use six spring clips; the reflector will float around inside the ring if you don't.

Last edited:
I have had this headlight sitting around for years and I am finally getting around to test fitting it.
My headlight does not have anything that spring can hook into along the edge like yours does. Maybe it is a defect but the plastic tabs are solid.

There are definitely places in the headlight that would allow a light leak into the rest of the bucket. It might be worth stuffing those holes with bubble gum! haha.

It also seems that there should be a rubber gasket with this kit. The plastic and lens sits against the chrome trim ring and does not create a very good seal. I could easily see water penetrating through.

And yeah, i could see needing many clips to hold it in place. right now I have 4 clips and the light is very loose. I'll have to dig through my stash for a few more.

"should be a rubber gasket with this kit. The plastic and lens sits against the chrome trim ring and does not create a very good seal. I could easily see water penetrating through. "

The gasket is absolutely necessary - I wrecked a similar product sold for /2 - PO installed no gasket
After an all night rain at a rally the headlight area was about 1/3 full of water - I did not notice
When I turned on the light the H4 exploded
When I foolishly tried to wipe the glass bits and other crap off the reflector the silver came off as well
Learned the hard way to never touch the silver with ANYTHING and keep the water out

After an all night rain at a rally the headlight area was about 1/3 full of water

Sound like that must have been a real frog choker!

The only gasket in the OEM head light assembly is the one that seals the perimeter of the lens/reflector (which also makes it "cleanable" on the inside). The bulb base does not have a gasket, but is somewhat more protected by the fitting on the reflector. I guess at $115 we gets whats we pays for ... the "real" H4 conversion kit runs around five Franklins.

I wasn't' too happy with this set up when it came. Hucky wouldn't take it back because it's "an electrical part" (???) I offered to pay for a "replacement" bulb (the only real electrical component) but no deal. So if anyone is considering this set up, Caveat Emptor!

Back