• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K12RS v K12LT gearing

1961BMWR69S

1960R100S
I have a ?..... I have a 02 K12RS with a 33/12 rear drive. A guy in my motorcycle club gave to me a brand new rear drive unit from his 09 K12lt witch is a 34/13 ( he tricked it ). Would the LT be a lower gear or a higher gear then the RS gear.

33/12 = 2.75
34/13 = 2.62

The LT gearset will cruise at 60mph at a few lower RPM than the RS gearset. Your acceleration will be slightly slower.

33/12 = 2.75
34/13 = 2.62

The LT gearset will cruise at 60mph at a few lower RPM than the RS gearset. Your acceleration will be slightly slower.

That is a 4.72% change in ratio. So whatever the stock gearing has the engine turning at any given speed will be reduced by 4.72% at any road speed, in the same gear.

So, for example, if with the original gearing the engine was turning at 4,000 it would be turning be turning at 3,811 with the new gearing

Back