• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'03 K1200GT fuel line quick disconnect

txmxrider

I searched the forum and found some good tips and this good thread complete with photos:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=61649&highlight=fuel+hose

So here's my dumb question for the day. How do the fuel lines actually disconnect? Mine don't look like the ones in the photo in the above-mentioned thread. One side is a black plastic hex fitting and the other side is some kind of metal dohicky inside a black plastic cover. Do you just pull them apart or do you twist and pull or are they threaded male and female? I don't want to start wanking on it until I have a pretty good idea what's supposed to happen.

Also, how much of a mess should I expect from the pressurized hose? Does it gush out like a firehose? Unfortunately the tank is almost full of fuel so I'd like to drain the fuel somehow before trying to remove the tank.

Since I'm into it this far I'll go ahead and get a set of the metal fittings. Is this what most people recommend? http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Thanks!

See this photo. When new your bike probably had disconnects that looked just like this. To disconnect them, push on the silver metal tab on the female half and while holding that tab in pull the two parts apart.

Both sides of the disconnect shut off automatically when they are disconnected.

Later types look about the same except the male half (on right in the photo) was metal instead of black plastic. The female half continued to be plastic.

If yours is different that this then all bets are off, I have no idea what you have.

Attachments

• P1030614.JPG
    P1030614.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 106
Yes, that's it exactly. Thanks for the info! I'm going to get the metal ones on order today.

See this photo. When new your bike probably had disconnects that looked just like this. To disconnect them, push on the silver metal tab on the female half and while holding that tab in pull the two parts apart.

Both sides of the disconnect shut off automatically when they are disconnected.

Later types look about the same except the male half (on right in the photo) was metal instead of black plastic. The female half continued to be plastic.

If yours is different that this then all bets are off, I have no idea what you have.

And when you re-connect them, be sure to hold the metal tab in until the male half is fully inserted into the other side.

If you don't, you run a substantial chance of cutting or shaving the side of the tiny o-ring on the end of the male connector and getting a small, annoying fuel leak.

And when you remove the old ones....be sure you have both sides clamped off so the fuel does not run out all over the place when you remove the old QDs. It will not be pressurized unless you have the bike running.....in that case, shut the bike off....:whistle

I am not sure how the stock ones came (mine did not have them...) but, you will want to install one line with the Female on the left, male on the right, then install Male left, Female right for the other hose. That way you cannot get them reversed if you disconnect them.:doh

Thanks for the tips guys. The funny thing is that all I wanted to do was run a wire for a new Powerlet port! Figured that'd be an hour, maybe two tops. That led to removing the bodywork which led to removing the fuel tank which led to replacing the fittings. I'll feel better with the new fittings though. That's bugged me for a while because I've heard the horror stories about the leaky QDs. Better to be doing it in the comfort of the garage than in the parking lot of a 7-11!

At this point the QD recall is history. Just suck 'em up and replace the original plastic QD's with metal QD's from places such as Beemerboneyard . The failure mode for plastic QD's is for the male fitting to shear off at the groove cut for an o-ring. Failure can result in spilled fuel. If it happens while servicing a bike, it may be annoying. If it happens with a hot engine and exhaust, it may be catastrophic. 'Nuff said.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with Beemerboneyard save as a customer.

I heard about the recall but figured at this point, since I already had the bike stripped down, I'd just spring for the Beemerboneyard set. They appear to be a very good product. Heavy duty look and feel. The job is already done now. Everything went well but getting the old fittings separated from the fuel line sure was a challenge. I broke some ribs in a mountain bike incident a couple of weeks ago so pulling one way on the hose while pulling the fitting the opposite direction caused excruciating pain! It took a while. I'd do one then have to walk off the pain for a bit before tackling the next one. Sure was happy when that last one finally came out!

BMW would not replace the QDs unless they were cracked and spraying fuel when you brought the bike in.

IIRC they would only replace the male side with the metal unit.

When I replaced mine I got the kit from Beemer Boneyard.

Back