• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

95 1100 LT Fork Adjustment

bsample

Finishing up a seal replacement job on the forks for a recently acquired K1150LT. Have not put many miles on this bike for a number of reasons, mostly that I'm a bit too short legged to be comfy on it. I noticed that a few other folks have adjusted forks to have a little more tube showing up on the triple tree. How much can I lower the forks without creating a problem with handling? I would like to get just a bit closer to flat footing- but don't want any surprises at highway speeds.. any suggestions?

BTW.. thanks to those that suggested gaiters... not crazy about the look, but I think they will not be too objectionable with all the tupperware around them and hope the added protection will make the next service a few years down the road:)

To do what you want to do you really need to lower the bike at both ends. You could set the rear shock preload to minimum and maybe get the back to sag a little but it would be bouncy I suspect.

If you drop the front by raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps it will drop the front, change the steering, and turn in a bit faster.

The best bet is to get a shorter shock for the rear and the drop the front to keep the bike level. Works, Progressive, and others can provide a shorter shock to your specifications. I wouldn't advise going any more than 1 to 1-1/2 inch shorter. You can only drop the front about an inch or so.

Sag...

I'll start with an inch and see what happens. I do have a Works shock, have it at maximum sag. I spoke with Sandy at Works and he suggested changing the spring to start with. Think I'll give this step a try go from there.

Thanks for the input!

Back