• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200 RT Headlite bulb replacement

bmwgypzee

I have a 2010 R1200RT and needto replace one of the headlite bulbs. I can see the round cover plates, and have removed the left one, which services the left bulb. My question is how does the bulb come off of the connector, and / or does the connector need to be removed / unclipped first?

I consulted the service manual, and all they are saying is to completely remove the headlite housing from the bike, and then service it on a bench. Is this necessary?

If it is like my 2008 RT, after removing the caps, take a flashlight and you will see a wire clip. You squueeze the two ends together while unhooking them at the same time. The clip swings up then. Be careful, they are fragile and I have heard of more than one person breaking them. After you do it once by feel, it will be a piece of cake. Right side is a little harder to get to, but is done the same way. Also, don't do like I did and just change one side. People here told to change both, but did I listen? Nope and less than 600 miles later I was changing the other one.

Also, forgot to say to gently pull the wire connector off the bulb before doing this. Wiggling it back and forth helps. Gently is the key word though.

Back