• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Splines, Part II

JimMoore

About 14 months ago I found out I had the dreaded "bad clutch spline" issue with my R1100S. I pulled the transmission and sent it off to be fixed. 10K miles later I checked through the starter hole and discovered it was happening again. I monitored it for another 10K miles and while I collected the parts to give it another try.

This time I went with a new (to me) transmission. It has 66K miles on it, and no spline wear. Here's my thought process. There is a misalignment between the engine and the transmission. There are people who claim to be able to fix your transmission so it won't happen again (although apparently not all of them can do it every time). That means the problem is with the transmission. A new one is a crapshoot, but a known-good used one should be a winner. What do you think?

As a note, I had about a quarter inch of play between the clutch and the splines. Looking at my splines, about half the material is gone from the transmission side. I'm sure I could have gone quite a bit further, but I had the time to make the swap and a buddy to help me out. I've heard of people having as much as 10 mm. I'd be getting pretty concerned at that point.

As another note, I'm completely unimpressed with the QC process at BMW. We're not talking about a slight misalignment here. It is multi, multi, multi thousands of inches. That's just pathetic. It's really turned me off on the brand.

Jim- go do a search on correcting trans misalignment at Pelicanparts.com. A few have done extensive writeups on the procedure.
misalignment issues typically start showing up around 25-40K, and then reoccur every 20K after that, if left uncorrected.

Thanks. I've seen some of those. Those are so far out fo my league mechanically it's not even a consideration.

Back