• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch release lever oil leakage

motoman7

I have a 1984 R80RT and noticed a few drips of transmission oil at the clutch release lever boot, at the back of the transmission. Looking at parts fiche, I can't find a seal in the lever assembly, nor on the transmission shaft at the rear. Is it "normal" for a bit of oil to seep into the release lever assembly? If not, where is the seal? Thanks!

I have an 83 R100RT and thought i had a leaking seal at the clutch rod so i replaced the seal. That didn't solve the problem. the oil was coming from the crank case vent and running down. I split the vent with a T and two small hoses and vented the vent into each carb. Solved the leak

Jack Ethridge
Ocala Fl.

After disassembly of the actuator, I see that there is a small hole in the cup/boot. The clamp may have been a bit loose, but I think the cup/boot is the problem. We'll see. Once that is repaired, I'll let you know if any more problems arise. Thanks so much to you both.

For now, can you rotate the boot 180 degrees so the hole/crack is on top?

Yes. Matter of fact, I repaired the two small holes with what I consider a very good flexible sealant. It is Suzuki 1207B silicone gasket, in a tube. It is used in the reassembly of crankcase halves, etc. It seems to be very flexible, but tenacious stuff. So after cleaning the cup/boot thoroughly, I have applied the sealant and will allow it dry overnight before assembly. In the meantime, I have cleaned up that area of the bike, as well as greased up the thrust bearing and the needle bearing in the release arm. This leak may have been a blessing in disguise, as the release arm bearing was pretty seized up with gunk and the rollers were not turning too easily. So, a thorough cleaning and regreasing of that bearing and pivot.

Back