• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Wethead has arrived....

I saw 2 years in one of the early announcements. Seems like it will be a real design challenge to get more GSA fuel capacity on this bike with the 2 side radiators.

They'll probably come with a little tanker trailer with a twenty gallon capacity. As an option it will have a built in fuel pump and transfer switch. The poor people will have to use a hand pump (also optional), but the dealers won't have those until the following year due to a engineering snafu at the plant in Kenya.

From what I hear, the new GS will probably be labeled as 2014, even though it will become available in March 2013. Current models are for 2013. However, I read somewhere that BMW has indicated that as of end of October, Motorrad will cease production of current GS, to make room for the new GS.

I have also been told that only the Rallye and Triple Black versions will be the only '13 camhead/ac models produced. Has anyone heard differently?

I wonder if the 2013 models will be sought out and sold at a premium price because they are the last of the oilhead GS or if they will be discounted to clear them out because they are being replaced by a "new and improved" wethead?

Great question and one that I'm curious to see how it plays out. My thought is that the remaining silver and white ones (GS) will garner a bit more demand than the TB that has been in circulation for a while now. My feelings are mixed regarding the Rallye version.

I wonder if the 2013 models will be sought out and sold at a premium price because they are the last of the oilhead GS or if they will be discounted to clear them out because they are being replaced by a "new and improved" wethead?

I would guess that neither will happen.

interesting heat management strategy

Interesting to see how the water cooling is designed. It appears that only a very small portion of the cylinders contain water cooling passages, and there are no passages in the heads. Seems like this would make the system light and compact. The overall look of the engine is not too different than the oil cooled.
Is this a new concept for motorcycle engine cooling? Do other manufacturers use similar methods on their water cooled bikes, or is it more common to have a more extensive water jacket?
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'88 R100RS

Interesting to see how the water cooling is designed. It appears that only a very small portion of the cylinders contain water cooling passages, and there are no passages in the heads. Seems like this would make the system light and compact. The overall look of the engine is not too different than the oil cooled.
Is this a new concept for motorcycle engine cooling? Do other manufacturers use similar methods on their water cooled bikes, or is it more common to have a more extensive water jacket?
The wethead has water passages in the head -- small passages which are directed to the high temp areas.

Yes, it is quite common to have water jackets which only extend as far down as the piston stroke, i.e., the region of the cylinder which sees high temp combustion gasses.

This is a great thread, the photos, comments, access to the press kit. One thing I don't see much on is the E-Gas. I noticed they're talking up how well it will handle E-10. I wonder if they're really saying that they've built a lean-burn engine that won't surge ...

E-Gas is the BMW term for their electronic throttle control. It's not related to ethanol compatibility. The R1200 series does not surge, I don't know if it would be considered "lean" burn.

Here's what I read in the BMW ON magazine,

"The bike is designed to run on E10 fuel perfectly, but any alcohol content above 10 percent has not been tested."

I found it odd that at this late date, decades after oxygenated fuel was introduced, that someone would be touting this.

Maybe they include it to refute the less than honest dealer that blame everything that's wrong with your bike on ethonal.

Nov Bike Show in ATL

Had one new wethead on display. Looked nice. No brochures, but I was there at opening time on Friday. The BMW rep was nice and fun to chat with but did not have any info about the bike - I think I knew more about it than he did which is not a slam against him at all. After all, I read ON!:type

Felt a notch easier to toss a leg over for the vertically challenged AND those - like me - short on the inseam side....30".

No price was available. None of the guys from the local dealerships were in the BMW display area when I was there. Not all the models were displayed.

Vendor participation down quite a bit and heavily biased - as usual - towards the cruiser/do rag/dress like Village people direction. Sigh.

I have a 2005 r1200gs with a 11-2004 build date and have had nothing but trouble with leaking seals, electrical problems and bad bearings. Let someone else do the beta "buying". I will wait a year or two until they sort out any issues the bike will have.

Interesting. Didn't have an issue with my recently sold 05 GS or with the 05 RT I still have and love. We've had first year R11RS, R11S, R1150R, R12GS and R12RT and not had any issues with them. :dunno

Back