• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fed up with these clowns

teknophile

I have taken my bike to the local dealership here in Colorado Springs several times now, twice for warranty service and they just cant seem to get the basic professionalism piece right. The first time I took it in at 4500 miles because the clutch reservoir had been dripping on the paint and the panel paint had worn off the center where it meets the black fuel tank cover had worn off which is totally unacceptable for that few miles on a bike.

The problem is that these clowns kept the bike for a week the first time I took it in. once I got tired of waiting for so much as a phone call to update me on the status of my bike. When I called them they were of course "just about to call me"(yeah right after 6 days) only to find out that they didnt even have the new parts in stock yet and didnt expect them in for at least 10 days. I ride daily so I asked them to give the bike back to me so I could get around since they had no idea when things would actually get done.

So 2.5 weeks later I stopped into the dealership because they had a nice used SV 650 I was interested in. While there I stopped into the service section to see what was up. Amazingly they were "just about to call me" to let me know the parts were in. Stunning coincidence in know. I then scheduled an appt 3 weeks out because that was the first thing they had. I also confirmed that it would be a 1 day job and that I could pick it up the next day.

3 weeks later I dropped the bike off on a Wed night for its Thurs appt and confirmed it would be ready by Thurs afternoon. They stated that it might be Friday as one of the techs had a family emergency. I said that is fine but to call me thurs afternoon to confirm and they agreed. So I finally got a call at 2pm on Friday to tell me the bike wasnt ready because one of the new panels had a scratch. When I asked if I could come take the bike rather than wait 2 more weeks for parts without my bike. This time they refused because the bike was apart and oh yeah some of the parts for the clutch master somehow hadn't come with the replacement parts from Germany.

So they had 6 freaking weeks to make sure the parts were all there and in good condition and still could get their trash in order.

As you can guess still have no bike and more importantly no idea when I will get it back. I am sick of this garbage. I purchased a BMW motorcycle and I think I deserve better service than this.

Someone please help me find a good shop in Colorado Springs, CO for major items. I like to do my own maint but need a shop for things like valves and tire changes. I dont care if its independent but I need someone who gives a S*** about the customer and wants to keep getting my money. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Wow. And I thought the dealer in Vancouver was bad! Good luck. Sorry can't help you with your request.

There are a few other shops up in Denver that have a good reputation.

Frankly, I thought the Colorado Springs dealer had a good reputation, too.

From some market research I did... here are some other possibilities:

BMW of Denver
2910 S. Havana Street
Aurora CO 80014
303-755-6400
http://www.bmwofdenver.com/

Bavarian Motorcycles West
2312 S. Delaware St.
Denver, CO 80223
720-570-2044
(Service by Appointment Only)

Foothills BMW/Triumph
1435 Wadsworth
Lakewood CO 80214
303-202-1400
http://www.foothillsbmw.com/

Supertune Motorsports
Mike Schweitzer, Owner
4420 Allison Street
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
303-495-3290
supertune@comcast.net
http://www.supertunemotorsports.com/

Colorado Powerports (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki)
1880 55th St.
Boulder, CO 80301
303-447-3500

Mikes Motorcycle- Parts & Service
1730 38th Ave.
Boulder, CO 80301
303-443-9350
www.mikesmotorcycle.com/

Northern Colorado Euro Cycles
(Ducati/BMW/Husqvarna/Triumph)
6002 Byrd Drive
Loveland CO 80538
970-679-1600/1-888-504-6466
http://www.coloradoeuro.com/

Beemers & More Motorcycle Works
800 Stockton Ave.
Fort Collins, CO 80524
Phone:970-221-1014
www.beemersandmore.com

Sorry you're having that hassle.

Ian.

I appreciate the responses and thanks for the research. Unfortunately I really need someone here local. Does anyone know someone local or even mind sharing tools and expertise? Thanks again

It kills me that I would have to go pay $450 (I asked them) for tires at the dealership when I can get the same tires delivered to my door for $315. In case you were thinking that includes installation at the dealership you would be wrong. For that they wanted another $160-200 give or take. I am willing to pay a bit of a premium for BMW services but not 50% or more and definately not for the service I am getting.

yes, tires (and most other things) are more expensive when you purchase them at a dealer. nature of the beast. same will be true for buying car parts vs. going to Autozone.
if the tire price from your dealer is too expensive, shop around, and find a better price from a local dealer (other brand), or on the interweb. if you go for on-line purchasing, be sure to ask in advance to find someone locally that will mount them for you, and what they will charge for that service. many shops will not even mount internet tires (they want you to pay their markup). i (& many others) resolved the tire issue by buying our own tire mounting equipment, and just dealing with it ourselves.
$160-200 is a high price for mounting tires, and totally exorbitant if it is done as "bring your wheels & tires to us" as opposed to "give us the bike, and we'll give you back the bike with new sneakers on it."

Colorado does not have a lemon law for motorcycles. I bet if they did you would get better service.

They may be in breech of some other laws. they should get you a loaner bike.

Rod

Colorado does not have a lemon law for motorcycles. I bet if they did you would get better service.

They may be in breech of some other laws. they should get you a loaner bike.

Rod

lemon laws are designed for dealing with repair issues that can not be effectively addressed due to inherent problems with the bike, not with (what appears to be) poor communication and organization by the dealer.

i'd recommend laying out all your concerns to the service manager at the shop, in writing and in person, and if you don't get a sympathetic response there, then move up the ladder to the general manager or owner. work inhouse before you take it any higher, as your complaints will be more readily listened to.
complaining to the President of the US about a town official is not how to get things done.

Thanks All

Appreciate the support.

Like I said I am willing to pay some premium for BMW services and products but 50% is absurd and unjustifiable given that there is this magnificent tool called the internet where I can search the competition (I hesitate to use the term in this case though).

I will be filing a complaint with Motorad AFTER I get my bike back and can cease doing business with these guys. I am understanding of some errors and even appreciative in many circumstances. Having spent the last half decade in the Marine Corps I have to learned to trust others to get the job done even if its not the way I would do it. What I am not willing to deal with is the lack of professionality and inability to learn from previous mistakes. If I ask you to notify me about the status of my bike at a certain time it is unaccaptable to call me 24 hours later when I would have been picking it up had I not been behind schedule. More importantly I know when I am being lied to and I sincerely doubt that the new panel had a scratch but rather that the problem was they forgot to get all the necessary parts to complete the clutch master swap. Which of course points to a lack of professionalism/preparedness and un-BMW level of service. Had it been once I would have happily written it off but we are on strike 3+ here and I am finished and ready to NJP someone ;)

lemon laws are designed for dealing with repair issues that can not be effectively addressed due to inherent problems with the bike, not with (what appears to be) poor communication and organization by the dealer.

No, lemon laws don't care what reason you are denied your vehicle. I think it's a total of 30 days, can't recall in how long a time, but if you're without your vehicle for 30 days total you can file under a lemon law. Of course the details may vary from one state to another.

Local help

Tim:

I know you'd like some local help, but if you're willing to drive a bit, contact Harry Hill over at Basin Motorcycle Works in the southwest corner of Colorado (located in Mancos, just a bit west of Durango). I've taken my bike there for service, making an appointment ahead of time and arriving there when they open up in the morning. I've been real pleased with their work and prices. It's nice doing business with a small shop where the owner is the lead wrench. And, Harry is meticulous about his work. No shoddy work comes out of his shop! Another advantage is the beautiful ride over.....you'd probably head west to Buena Vista, Gunnison, Ouray over the Million Dollar Hwy (between Ouray and Durango), then west to Mancos. What a ride!!!!

Here's their info:
www.basinmotorcycleworks.com

You could hook up with the local BMW club in Colorado Springs. I live too far out of town to associate with them, but have sent a couple of emails to them that were never answered. So, I can't say much, but I bet you'll find some good folks there with a good attitude!

Here's the contact for the local, Pikes Peak BMW club:

Pikes Peak BMW Road Riders Association
719-391-2667
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80901
http://www.pikespeakbmwriders.org
meetings: 3rd Sunday of each month, call for location
events: Highest Club in the USA ride to the top of Pikes Peak

Good luck, and hang in there. Once you get the wrinkles ironed out, you'll be living large on that bike, and enjoying the scenery of Colorado.

you can complain to bmw but all they will do is call the
dealer . the dealer will say all a misunderstanding . then
you'll be back to square one . and around and around we go .

Piperjim offers good advise. The local club will have some help for you. Jay Kuhns does tires properly and inexpensively. The club has some very competent wrenchs that can help with other issues.

I'm PPBMWR Member #1. I know these guys and gals very well and trust them to help when needed.

Customer service is what it is all about. If your not getting it then move on to somebody that appreciates your business.

Parts are another issue that can be beyond the local dealers control. BMW has a limited dealer network in US and way less in this country, so parts can be a real issue. Not much one can do about that if you want to ride a BMW.

Thanks for the resources everyone.

I keep meaning to get together with the local BMW chapter but I keep missing that 3rd sunday meeting because I am out riding ;) I mean I did put 3000 miles on her in 60 days.

Appreciate the support.

Like I said I am willing to pay some premium for BMW services and products but 50% is absurd and unjustifiable given that there is this magnificent tool called the internet where I can search the competition (I hesitate to use the term in this case though).

I will be filing a complaint with Motorad AFTER I get my bike back and can cease doing business with these guys. I am understanding of some errors and even appreciative in many circumstances. Having spent the last half decade in the Marine Corps I have to learned to trust others to get the job done even if its not the way I would do it. What I am not willing to deal with is the lack of professionality and inability to learn from previous mistakes. If I ask you to notify me about the status of my bike at a certain time it is unaccaptable to call me 24 hours later when I would have been picking it up had I not been behind schedule. More importantly I know when I am being lied to and I sincerely doubt that the new panel had a scratch but rather that the problem was they forgot to get all the necessary parts to complete the clutch master swap. Which of course points to a lack of professionalism/preparedness and un-BMW level of service. Had it been once I would have happily written it off but we are on strike 3+ here and I am finished and ready to NJP someone ;)

Unfortunately, you might want to change your philosophy from "trust others" to Trust Marines. In a free market system like ours either buyer beware, or buyer be sorry.

It has come to the point that when I buy a new bike or car; I do as much research about the dealer as I do about the product.

I'm behind you on sending the letter to BMW NA. If they can't handle the truth - that's their problem.

Good luck; you deserve better service.

E.

Unfortunately, you might want to change your philosophy from "trust others" to Trust Marines. In a free market system like ours either buyer beware, or buyer be sorry.

It has come to the point that when I buy a new bike or car; I do as much research about the dealer as I do about the product.

I'm behind you on sending the letter to BMW NA. If they can't handle the truth - that's their problem.

Good luck; you deserve better service.

E.

Dont take me wrong I always do my research (thats why I ended up with a BMW, and for a great price too). The rule is to trust but verify. For the record I have already spoken with the manager at the dealership after the first few irritations and obviously it didnt help much. Granted I did get a phone call this time, not when I asked for it, not with good news, and not telling me they were doing as they said, but it did come. The truth is I owned my own business before my current career and learned early on how important customer service is because the single best form of advertising is "word of mouth". When you give just that little extra you get so much more in return. Unfortunately it seems like so many people these days carry and "entitlement" mindset and in situations like this they cant understand why you havent given them all your money. If I had unlimited funds I would still do my research because you must earn my respect if you want my business.

I will be contacting BMW NA to let them know the dealership is sub-standard. Coincidentally I spoke with another shop recently and they state that they have heard the same things from a number of other customers.

I will be contacting BMW NA to let them know the dealership is sub-standard. Coincidentally I spoke with another shop recently and they state that they have heard the same things from a number of other customers.
You certainly should contact NA. That's the only avenue we have to try to solve 'over the top' complaints. It may or may not help, but unless we do something, we can't expect things to change.

Regarding comments from other shops - forget it. Can you imagine for one second a shop the raves about how great service at another shop is?..... :doh

That all said, my experience with service at that shop in the Springs was not at all good the first time I visited them shortly after they moved to the current location. However, during the 2011 IBR, I needed a very fast unscheduled tire change. Within minutes of the service manager getting in that morning - my bike was in and I recall the bike was finished just when they opened for business and I was back on my way in short order.

I do think - based on that experience and what I've heard from club members at meetings - they're trying to improve. Obviously, if what you relate here is 100 percent accurate, they still have a way to go.

Like I said, get with the club and see if they can't help somehow. If you like, you can email me privately and I can give you some names and numbers of folks that may be of some help. steve@nmpcs.com

Jay Kuhns does tires properly and inexpensively. The club has some very competent wrenchs that can help with other issues.

And all for a good reason.

This dealership charges $95/hr and 1.5 hrs to change both tires when you bring the wheels in. The local Yamaha dealer (=BMW dealer 20 years ago) does it for $50.

I once had to wait 6 weeks to get a new rear drive via online order from Germany. All other parts I get per online order in less than a week for my '88 airhead.

Rumors have it that there is a problem for quite some time with this BMW dealership (=formerly an exclusive HD dealership).

/Guenther

Back