• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Left hand switch

Anybody know where I might find the 2-rocker switch used on the RTP. Left side,inboard of the normal combo switch?

I'm thinking that would be a great place [& switch] for Aux lamps, and / or anything.

Ron

They are handy for such things -- I controlled aux lights and my garage door opener via the switches.

The parts are readily available from your dealer. Part numbers can be found on the MaxBMW fiche -- see the RT-P Authority parts sections at the end of the RT fishe, or look at the R1200C -- the mirror-image housing/backing plate/etc. arrangement was used on the right cluster of the R12C Phoenix model for its factory aux lights.

You'll need the backing plate for the housing, the housing body and a couple screws (and the switches, obviously). IIRC, installation will require you to remove the plastic cover plate under the left grip body, and drilling of a hole to pass a backing plate screw through. My dim memory sez there is even a raised ring on the inside of the grip cover plate to show you where to drill.

When you go to install the switches, carefully think about the wiring. The switchs can be wired with their backlit illumination only on when the switch is on or always on, and the switch can be wired alway on or always off until actuated.

HTH!

Take a look @ the PIAA push switch with the green LED and a stick-on back. Its small,cheap and fits many places & weathertight too.

Take a look @ the PIAA push switch with the green LED and a stick-on back. Its small,cheap and fits many places & weathertight too.

That's what I have, or similar...looks like a mouse.

Anyway, I just like the OEM look of the housing, on the RTP. And I can put any rocker in that I want.

I am extremely interested in how you are doing this.
Nothing difficult about it -- the switches have three wires, two for controlling some device, and one for the switch illumination (on switches that have a built-in light, of course). For aux lights, the two wires can be used as the trigger to a light relay; for the garage door opener, the two wires can be connected to the two contacts inside a garage door remote, or, as on one of my previous bikes, can be connected to a Flash2Pass unit so that you can trigger the F2P without having to flash your high beam. (on the latter, I no longer go this way -- using the high beam switch to trigger the F2P unit is more convenient and an easier installation; it also leaves the second hole in the switch housing available for a switch for another purpose).

Back