• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'91 K100 LT - Brakes ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN

swbell

Here in Minnesota we're having a GREAT weekend of riding. Got my wife to come along as we spent some time in the county and along the Mississippi river. The problem happened when we were coming back into town.

REAR BRAKE - I stopped at a light, no problem. Went another 1mile and was going to stop at a 4-way and had NO back brake, front worked so was able to stop. I was close to home, parked it. Saw no fluid and did a quick check of things. Rear light would come on but it felt like there was NO pressure on the foot pedal. We were heading to dinner so I just lift it and we took the cage. Later that evening I stepped on the foot brake and there was pressure, just like always.

So where do I start to figure out this rear brake issue?

thanks

The first step is to bleed the brakes and change the brake fluid. Then see what you have. If that fails to cure the problem you probably have a bad piston cup in the rear master cylinder. If it is worn, torn, or mushy it can work more or less part of the time but not always.

bleeding brakes ... easier said than done. Never done this before on a motorcycle, assuming it is the same as on car. I've only done this two times before on a car.

However, it might be better to get a rebuild kit? Do they sell these? Then just go ahead and replace the piston cup -- If I'm going to bleed the breaks anyways, might as well do it once rather than 2x

thanks for the help.
-steve

The hose from reservoir to master cylinder may be pinched by the footrest plate, or breaking down due to aging.

Back