• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

/2 Headlight Mirrors

gasketdave

I would like to put a set of headlight mounting mirrors on my 67 R69S. Just wondering if anyone uses them and if you can see anything with them. Also can anyone recommend a style or brand name that they like
Thanks Dave

Dave -

Welcome to the forum and the Vintage area! My R25/2 came to me with Bumm headlight mirrors. I kind of like them. Takes a little getting used, to but it's kind of neat to look under your arms. Actually, it probably is an improved way of seeing since I don't have to look past my elbows like on my R69S. Albert also makes a set...pretty much the same.

One place to get them...Vech at Benchmark Works.

Some of us can't make up our mind. :deal

I've a handlbar mount on the left and a headlight mount on the right. The handlbar mounted mirror gives me a better view. The headlight mount is better than the clamp-on, straight-arm handlebar mirror that was on the right side of the handlebars.

Best headlamp mount, IMHO, are the Albert mirrors sold by Vech. Another option are the Albert bar end mirrors, also sold by Vech.

p-121861313-6146.jpg

There's a set of "new" Bumm headlight mirrors on ibmwr right now for $80. That's $20 off the new price. I'm tempted to email the guy myself..

Marco -

How in the heck do you adjust to that? I know you have several bikes, and it would seem that getting on your R69S you'd spent the first 30 minutes just retraining your brain for this setup! I tried a single left side mirror on my R69S but could not stand missing the right mirror...I use both extensively. So I went back to the handlebar mount type to get my full visibility back.

How in the heck do you adjust to that?

:dunno It's never been an issue. Or maybe it's just where I came from. The clamp-on-the-handlbar right mirror that the headlight bucket replaced never showed me anything other than my right arm.

I had a set on my R50/2; I couldn't see a thing but my knees. They looked great, though...

Were they Albert or Bumm? I believe the Bumm mirrors are flat. The Albert are slightly convex. It makes a big difference. You see lots more, but you do have to remember that "items are closer than they appear".

I don't recall, but I really saw "nuthin' but knee" - I remember thinking that they were simply too short to be of any use. I believe part of it may have been that I had US bars on the bike. I'm also 6'2", so maybe that had something to do with it. But they looked SOOOOO GOOOOOOD!

I also have a set of Bumm mirrors except I cut and welded in a piece to lengthen them. I had a perfect view of my knee before the lengthening.

bumm mirrors

From ebay ad:

Brand new pair of ÔÇ£originalÔÇØ Bumm headlight mounted mirrors. These mirrors are Made in Germany on the original vintage tooling and have a brilliant hard chrome finish. These are period accessory mirrors for /2 and /5 BMW and other European marques. Bumm has been an accessory and OEM supplier for the German automobile and motorcycle industry (including BMW) since the 1930ÔÇÖs.These high quality mirrors sport convex glass lenses, These mirrors have replaceable lenses, in case they are ever damaged.

My buddy and I ,both had headlight mounted mirrors on our /2's. He said "all I can see are my knees",but I could see the horion behind me well. While on a ride together ,I made an observation,he rode with his knees hanging out away from the bike. I told him what I saw and suggested that he try holding his knees onto the tanks knee pads. He did,problem solved. Of course if you have a 36" inseam,maybe not.

Back