• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

85 R80RT fork seal replacement

nugentch

I need to replace the fork seals on my '85 R80RT. I have looked in my trusty Clymer's and Haynes and according to them (at least as far as I can see) I need to totally remove the forks to do this. I have replaced fork seals on an R90S before and do not remember it being that big of a deal.

Can anyone provide any guidance to me on this. Replacing the fork seals should not be an all day event.

Any help would be appreciated.

Now would be a good time to re-grease the steering head bearings, since it is not much more work. The instructions in the Clymers and Haynes are for removing the forks. The owner needs to modify the instructions to allow removal of the lower legs to replace the seals and not the entire fork assembly. The springs for the forks need to be released - which means the handlebars and fork plugs need removal. Once the fork spring is uncompressed, the bottom yoke pitch bolts are loosed to help in removing the lower fork. Remove the lower fork, replace the seals, then reassemble. Good luck!

edit: here is a thread talking about replacing gaiters on a R90/6 and adding fork seals. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=34304&referrerid=51262
If your R80RT does not have gaiters, that may be the reason you are replacing the fork seals.
Also, the springs to not need to be uncompressed to remove the lower sliders. Following the link description or that from lostboy will work. The Clymer and Haynes (and my) descriptions require unnecessary steps.

Last edited:
Renewing the fork seals in your current bike is not a lot different than on your R90S. Remove the front wheel and fender, then remove the 8mm bolt that retains the slider, which is visible once the axle is removed. You may need an impact wrench to remove these screws because the damper rod tends to rotate with the bolt. Once the bolts are out, pull the sliders and fork brace as one. Renew the seals. Reassemble and refill the oil through the holes at the top of the fork.

Now would be a good time to re-grease the steering head bearings, since it is not much more work. The instructions in the Clymers and Haynes are for removing the forks. The owner needs to modify the instructions to allow removal of the lower legs to replace the seals and not the entire fork assembly. The springs for the forks need to be released - which means the handlebars and fork plugs need removal. Once the fork spring is uncompressed, the bottom yoke pitch bolts are loosed to help in removing the lower fork. Remove the lower fork, replace the seals, then reassemble. Good luck!

edit: here is a thread talking about replacing gaiters on a R90/6 and adding fork seals. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=34304&referrerid=51262
If your R80RT does not have gaiters, that may be the reason you are replacing the fork seals.
Also, the springs to not need to be uncompressed to remove the lower sliders. Following the link description or that from lostboy will work. The Clymer and Haynes (and my) descriptions require unnecessary steps.

Renewing the fork seals in your current bike is not a lot different than on your R90S. Remove the front wheel and fender, then remove the 8mm bolt that retains the slider, which is visible once the axle is removed. You may need an impact wrench to remove these screws because the damper rod tends to rotate with the bolt. Once the bolts are out, pull the sliders and fork brace as one. Renew the seals. Reassemble and refill the oil through the holes at the top of the fork.

Thanks! That what I was looking for!

Back