• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Engine Power Question

EMSimon

No longer a member here
Anybody has an idea on how to get 62hp out of a 1965 R60/2 short of replacing the whole motor?

purchase another R100 and re-badge it as an R60/2 is about your only (il)legitimate option.

even the newest offerings from Honda (NC700), Kawi (Versys) and Suzi (Wee-Strom) are only producing mid 60's hp. ain't gonna happen in a 50 year old design that was anemic for hp output even when new.
well, maybe you could, by going turbo, big heads, etc- but you're probably dumping enough $ into that to just go out and purchase 180+ hp from BMW in the S100RR package, and get all the handling upgrades that the R60 would still not have.

"why?" is my question to you.

Last edited:
It is an R60/2!

I can not answer the "why". It is not my bike. I was just curious about it because someone I know claims he has a 1965 R60/2 with 62hp and I think he is dreaming, because he also claims he is about to put two 4-piston Brembo brake calipers on the (drum brake) bike......

people claim lots of things.

does not make them true.

now you can start wondering what else he has lied to you about......

alternatively, maybe he'll let you take it for a ride. kind of a "put up or shut up" procedure.

curiously, 62 hp is what a stock 38mm piped R100 was rated at. maybe he did do an engine swap?

Putting a /7 motor in a /2 frame is pretty routine...these are "conversions" that people talk about. There was even an Oilhead engine in a /2 frame...not sure how easy that was.

Back