• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

More valve chatter with Camhead than Hex?

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Under load, like when accelerating out of an uphill curve in second gear, I get a noticeable amount of valve chatter on my 2010 GSA. Not pinging, and not really loud, but pretty persistent from 2500 to 3500 rpm. Granted this is a sidecar rig and has to pull more weight than other bikes, and loses more speed in twisties than a two wheeler, but my 2007 GS never did this when the hack was on that bike.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and a master tech said the valve adjustment was spot on, but the rocker was a tad loose. He corrected that. But on the ride home thru the hills the chatter was undiminished.

Fresh oil and filter, 93 octane ethanol-free gas. Is the camhead just more sensitive to lugging than the hexhead..?

I don't know about the camhead but my 08RT would much rather be in first gear on a uphill curve at 2500-3500 rpm even with one passenger and no gear loaded

Sounds odd to me. Under load, the valves train should not be much or any louder.

I only had an oil head then cam head no hex head.

Sometimes I can hear a slight metallic sound not very loud coming from the valve covers. I just decided its the sound my bike makes. Its not loud, its not rattly like my air head, its just "busy" and barely detectable.

On my last trip with the girlfriend and all her (our) stuff on the bike, I was pulling a hill behind a pick up truck on a back country road in 6th gear 2200 rpm. Twist the throttle and away it went. No excessive noises at all. Valves were quiet as always.

So I am not hearing it on my 12 cam head.

David

I don't know about the camhead but my 08RT would much rather be in first gear on a uphill curve at 2500-3500 rpm even with one passenger and no gear loaded

Okay, but my point is my 07 Hex pulled without protest. Seems like the newer engine doesn't tolerate low RPMs as well, something I've been trying in order to minimize the loudness of the exhaust when riding with my dog. Barley clearly is not a fan of louder pipes.

Your post made me think.

Today I filled the bike with 89 octane. It was louder and more noise coming from the engine when lugging it or when I quickly cranked the throttle at low RPM.

With the 89 I hear a ping or two, and still some noise from combustion after the computer backs the timing off because of the knock sensor.

With 93 I hear nothing.

Bike will get 93 from now on. Its a 12 with 3300 miles. I have had it 4 weeks.

12:1 compression, I expect it to only burn 93.

Back