• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Choices

• Thread starter cessnadog@gmail.com
  • Start date
C

cessnadog@gmail.com

Ok, the bug for a bike has bitten again. I sold my last bike (Yamaha GTS1000) about ten years ago since kid duty was keeping me from riding. Kids are now old enough that I can get out on a bike enough to make it worth doing.

I have never even had my leg over a BMW, but was thinking an R1200R would suit me fine. Only problem is I can't track one down to buy, none close by new or used. In the mean time an 09 R1200GS Adventure comes up for sale here in town.

I know they are two different bikes. Thoughts on the trade offs between these for a guy who will likely never get it off the road?

Also, the GS has about 37,000 miles on it. Anything I need to be aware of that might need attention at this mileage? Last, fair price for such?

Thanks!

I can't compare those or answer most of your questions but here's my thought on the GS. I bet most of the people I see with GS bikes don't take them off road at all. Probably doesn't apply to many that ride them on this forum but I think a lot of people aren't comfortable with the damage you can sustain constantly off roading in the kind of environment that bike can handle. They make a great long distance bike.

MCN did a bike test sometime earlier this year, can't remember the bikes. But they used a R1200GSA to haul the equipment. The testers preferred the GSA.

I would put some thought into what kind of riding you intend to do now that you are kid-less...so to speak. If you are out for two or three days, chances are you could be rained on at an inopportune time when you have to make some miles that day. You will be thankful for some protection!

An R12R is without question a great bike, but it's also a "naked" one meaning no wind/rain protection. A bike with fairing will increase your riding season by quite a bit by keeping the cold wind off you. A GS has fairly good weather protection, (but nowhere near an RT) they corner great and are fun in the twisties. The RS versions are smaller fairings, though more sport-touring oriented.

I think my suggestion would be to take a drive to a BMW dealer and see the different BMW's offered...sit on them, get up close and personal. once you find two or three that you think you might like, go take them for a ride.

Don't make the mistake of buying something you "think" is what you want.

Hope this gives you something to "chew" on!

Ken

I recently moved from an R to a GS (though not the adventure). In my view I've gained everything and lost nothing. The GS is iconic, inspires confidence, and lengthens the riding season. It's a joy to know that this bike can handle anything. One note: the GSA is a very tall bike.

MCN did a bike test sometime earlier this year, can't remember the bikes. But they used a R1200GSA to haul the equipment. The testers preferred the GSA.

Tthe article was done on sport tourers as I remember and I think the RT was in the bunch. The GS was along for the ride but ended up winning overall.

There are many GS riders who never go off road. Then again, there are many who never PLANNED to go off road but then realize what fun it is. Regardless of your riding style, the GS is a great all-round bike. And 37,000 miles is just broken in.

If it fits and you are comfortable riding it, go for it!

Welcome to the group !

As noted above, the R1200R is a fine bike. I purchased the release day bike in late 2006 when I saw it in the dealership being unpacked. I put 26000 great miles on that bike and loved it every minute, but...

As noted, the RR is a naked standard, so most owners spend a lot of time and $$ putting on a decent aftermarket windscreen and seats (BMW versions basically suck!).
The situation is that when you start doing the upgrades, you are going to end up with essentially the cost of a R1200RT, which is probably why BMW does not sell a lot of RR's.

You can read my blog about the RR Odyssey here:
http://www.dualsportridersoflouisia...d.php?2378-BMW-R1200R-report&highlight=r1200r

I wrote a specific comparison of the RR versus the RT at this post:
http://www.dualsportridersoflouisia...-R1200R-report&p=152520&viewfull=1#post152520

This is my RR:
BMWR1200RTRADED1.jpg

If you are looking for a great bike, it is available at BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge. Ask for Clark King in sales.

The replacement RT:
BMWR1200RT1.jpg

Oh, what a fine piece of machinery :clap

Last edited:
I know they are two different bikes. Thoughts on the trade offs between these for a guy who will likely never get it off the road?

Actually, outside of the length of suspension travel, wheels and styling, they are the same bike.

The points made above are all good, the only thing I'll add is that if you are fairly short and/or uncomfortable unless both feet are flat on the ground, you might not like the GS.

That said, I feel the GS is actually a better real-world bike than the R because of its suspension travel. When the road gets rough you really feel it on the R but the GS keeps going as if the bumps aren't there. And there are a lot of bumpy roads in the world!

I used my 1150 GS as my highway bike... absolutely nothing wrong with that. My other GS and HP2 enduro see much more off-pavement use.

Ian

You may want to check out posts on this forum in the hexhead forum to see if anyone there is near you that would let you sit on their R. You can also check r1150r.net. It is an R specific forum. You may be able to find someone there that is close and will let you sit on their 1150 or 1200R.

I too started with an 1150R and later went to a 12GS. This biggest thing for me was the difference in the motor. The ergonomics closed the deal. The R is not a cramped bike at 6', but I did notice the difference once on the GS, that I was just spread out a bit more. With the sport screen on my R, it was a very comfortable touring bike and I did numerous two up and one up multi day trips on it. Loved both of the bikes and dearly wish I still had them both.

The R is nice but it's nekkid.
As usual Ian is correct.
Take your time see if you can get some saddle time on both.
That'll be the real test.

Well, I'm probably biased since I have a 2009 R1200GSA, but you will find it a very good all around bike. Definitely can be good for long rides. It is taller than a regular GS and a R like you are looking at, but you get a taller windscreen, huge tank, extra lights and crash bars, just to mention the main differences.

Mine sees probably 80% of its time on the pavement, but there are times it will get several days of dirt roads in a row. So mine probably sees more dirt than many. It is very nice to see a dirt road and just go try it out. I actually enjoy hitting construction zones on the highway.

Where are you located? As mentioned, you might find someone here that can show you one or both bikes and point out the good and bad in person.

Two days ago, I would have provided info leaning very heavily towards the GSA. But yesterday, I took out my RTP. (I had the RTP up for sale 'cause I was flat running out of storage room. I had an 8x16 storage shed built to solve the 'storage room' issue.) Now I am committed to keeping both Beemers. Each has its own personality and riding each puts a huge grin on my old face. Do I off road much? Nope. But that big GSA sure does eat up the road miles. The RTP is a little better, for me, in getting around town, for short afternoon rides, and the oil cooler fan makes it the bike of choice on really hot days. But that is my opinion.

Test ride everything you can, then buy the one that puts the biggest grin on YOUR face.

Give us , as said, some info on where/how you will ride & your inseam. As to naked vs. RT I ride an 1150R with a touring WS & wear proper pants,coat,etc & see no reason it isn't a great choice for on road tripping. Price,weight,ride quality & availability of a low seat make it right for me. "If" you count your money then that helps decide what works & "if" you don't then lots of choices. Call it heresy if you like but I rode a new 2012 Wee Strom the other day & it's a very nice bike. I can buy one out the door + taxes for $7,800 here & lots of dealers everywhere too. That money doesn't buy many BMW's new. Since many bikes are garage queens, if you open your search to a fly & drive there are lots of low mileage bikes out there & the money goes farther used, of course. Ebay has 25-35 BMW's newly listed per day. Club Forum,IBMWR,CL & Biketrader have thousands for sale. Just "whats in town" isn't my way to shop for something not so common such as a BMW bike & severely limits the field. If a bike is of interest ask for a member close by to evaluate it. I'm real rural so an anywhere search is my only way & even in a large town bikes can be few in your category.

Many years ago, when I was looking for my first real road bike, my Father gave me some very valuable advice. He said if you don't fall in love with the bike, you need to walk away. I then looked at a R69S, and it was nice. But, after I road a R75/5 I knew that I owned the bike before I reached the end of the street. When you find the right bike, you will know it. Likewise, if you get tired of a bike, it is time for a new one.

Don't settle for a GS when you want a R. Be patient, and keep looking. One will pop up, and you will be grateful that you did wait. You should also try an RT. You might like the extra wind protection.

Gs

I have a friend that just had to have a GSA, I remember telling him just get the GS, forget A. He quickly found out that the GSA was simply too tall or his legs were too short, so he sold it about 2 months after delivery.

My son in law has a regular GS, he is considering having it lowered as it is almost too high for him.

Best check them out first. They do make a factory lower version as well.

I had a GS-non-A and the main reason I chose it was ergonomics. I'm a tall strapping lad so it was a better fit than EVERYTHING else in the BMW line including the Adventure because I didn't like the extra height/weight. Getting off-pavement was merely icing, but I'd done that some on the R100R (pretty bike with street-tires!) I'd had before the GS anyway.

After a two-year hiatus from motorbikes I'm thinking about getting back on in the not-too-distant future, and another GS is the only bike I dream about. :thumb

Update and a few more questions

Wow, interesting afternoon. It was a great day so I took the chance to ride the GSA and a new Yamaha Super Tenere.

First, a little more background. I am 5-11 and have about a 32 inch inseam. Riding the GSA today I get the point many of you made re the wind protection. I am sure that a GS(A) will lengthen my riding season. Most of my riding will be local with a mix of in town and highway. Might be an occasional long trip thrown in.

So, I rode the GSA. I could really love this bike... if it were an inch (half an inch?) shorter. It has a Corbin seat and we lowered it as far as it would go... and I can't quite flat-foot it. It was fine but I worry just a little if I will get comfortable with it.

The bike is a 2009 in pretty nice shape (37000 miles) with some nice extras. Since the current owner is quite a bit bigger than me, (maybe 30 or 40 lbs) can I expect that the bike will sit a little lower once I get the suspension set to my liking?

I also see some talk about Hyper Pro lowering kits. Is there a consensus on these? Do they work? Do they lead to other problems?

My last two bikes were Yamahas. After reading the reviews I was ready to spend the same money and get a NEW Yamaha. After I got off the GSA, I rode the Tenere, it was fine, and I crossed it off my list. Wind protection was nowhere near the GSA and the engine seemed quite a bit more "buzzy". different class of machine.

Am I right that there was another significant upgrade in engine in 2010?

All thoughts are welcome.

thanks
Tim

Hi Tim:

Sounds like you are hooked on the GSA. Just some ideas.. You might find that the height problem is the Corbin seat. Generally speaking anyone with a 32" inseam has no problem with the height of the bike. I am 5'11" like you, but with a 29" inseam that makes riding the GSA a bit of a challenge (I am on tip-toes at stops with both feet down), but workable by simply sliding off to one side or the other at stops. A different seat may totally change the feel for you. You will notice that some seats are a bit wide at the front which makes for a wide step angle when you put your leg down. Narrower fronts on seats help a lot to solve this.

Lowering the suspension is a possibility, but why defeat the whole purpose of the bike to begin with? Many riders are not comfortable initially with very tall bikes, but get used to them with a little bit of practice. The biggest trick is to decide where you will put you foot down before you make a stop. One other suggestion that helps with the tippy feel is to use only the rear brake below about 5-10 mph when stopping and when maneuvering around parking lots. Any deflection of the handlebars when you touch the front brake is going to cause the bike to pull hard in the direction the bars are turned and lead to a drop, so only touch the front brake in these situations with the bars squared up and front tire straight ahead.

The GSA you are looking at has the "Hexhead" engine, and the 2010 up models have the "Camhead" or overhead cam engine which gives a bit better breathing to the engine, thus a slightly better feel to the torque end of things. Either engine is great, so do not stress over that difference.

If you like the bike and it is a good deal, go for it :thumb

Back