• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Front Crankshaft Seal

ChasinDaylight

Bike is a 2002 R1150RT. I had to pull the alternator support housing to get the alternator out for servicing. After putting it back together I had an oil leak from the front crank seal. Guess I messed it up in putting the housing back on the engine.

Took it apart again and pulled the HES plate and installed a new seal with the housing still attached to the engine. After a 70 mile ride today, I noticed a little oil seepage down the front. The manual calls for a special sleeve when installing the seal: I guess to protect the seal from the crank when installing. I used a piece of plastic tubing as a drift when installing the seal. Worked perfect.

Any suggetions on what I should do to install the next one? Do I need some type of protection over the crank?

Bike is a 2002 R1150RT. I had to pull the alternator support housing to get the alternator out for servicing. After putting it back together I had an oil leak from the front crank seal. Guess I messed it up in putting the housing back on the engine.

Took it apart again and pulled the HES plate and installed a new seal with the housing still attached to the engine. After a 70 mile ride today, I noticed a little oil seepage down the front. The manual calls for a special sleeve when installing the seal: I guess to protect the seal from the crank when installing. I used a piece of plastic tubing as a drift when installing the seal. Worked perfect.

Any suggetions on what I should do to install the next one? Do I need some type of protection over the crank?

I don't know if you can find one, but the black plastic "can" that Kodak 35mm film used to come in is a perfect sleeve for this purpose. Cut out the bottom and carefully deburr the cut. Then slide the seal onto the can with bottom side toward the engine. Slip the can over the crankshaft and then drive the seal into position.

I just did this job about a month ago. I used a piece of mylar film wrapped around the shaft to cover the keyway. I oiled the lip of the seal well so it slid on easily. Also used a PVC pipe fitting as a drift. I let the seal sit for 24 hours before I started the bike so it could form tight to the shaft. No leaks.

We use mylar film around the office for some of our large engineering prints so it was cheap and handy. Camera film or negatives would work pretty well too.

Last edited:
Back