• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New windshield for 2007 R1200R

kbnesbitt

Hello out there!

I have recently upgraded my bike to a very nice R1200R. It is light years ahead of my previous Yamaha, and look forward to adding up the miles.

Everyhing about the bike is great, with the exception of the windscreen. As a larger rider (I stand 6'1"), I get more wind buffeting than I would like. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement screen?

Thanks for the advice (in advance).

I have a 12 R1200R and went with the parabellum sport windshield. I got the shorter model. Its just right but took a while to find the sweet spot. Adjustment for and aft top and bottom make for a lot of different angles and fit.

With the bottom forward, the wind blows up from in front of the gas tank. Back too far and I was getting buffeting on the head. So finding the sweet spot took a few test rides. Last trip was for 3 days with a passenger. She likes where it ended up.

I am 5'7".

I came from an RT. Bought the R for the less weight and Overhead cams. One sweet bike!

In this case - oddly - I'd suggest joining another forum - the R1200R specific forum that can be found at http://www.r1150r.org

This small but active group of R12R riders have been debating windshields about since the bike was first released in 2007, and there is a wealth of info there to help guide you.

There is no hard and firm rule on what windshield is "best" - so far it seems that what works for some people simply doesn't work for other people. Differences such as inseam vs height, arm-length vs inseam/height mean that your head may not be where someone elses head is, despite them being the same height as you. And head position makes a big difference on a semi-naked bike with a windscreen.

One thing we did find is that almost every windscreen can be "improved" by tilting the top edge back closer to the rider then where the stock BMW "touring" mount positions it. One member on the forum ("Don C") was making plastic blocks that go under the front lower mount of the touring mount so as to do that. He is charging a very fair (and not terribly profitable to him I'm sure) price for them, they are a popular modification for almost any screen on this model. I'm using a modified touring-mount where the bottom mounting loop has been extended, doing the same thing as his block.

The improvement with tilting the screen back is less turbulent air hitting the riders helmet. The angle the screen presents to the air seems critical for this, and having it too upright - any design screen - results in turbulence that is really head-shaking and annoying at speed.

Anyway - lots of good R12R specific info on that forum - worth spending some time reading. If you were in the NJ area, I have a collection of screens (gotta get rid of some..) that I've let people come over and try riding with.

Good luck, you've got what I consider to be the best all-round bike BMW makes.

another option

You might want to try National Cycle's windscreens. The ones for BMWs are under the name of Ztecknik.

They make two different heights for the R1200R. One of those might work for you.

Be aware, however, that they require their own proprietary mounting system which is quite solid but which might interfere with the installation or risers.

To give more information, I have a 32" inseam, and my seat is a stock BMW item. The previous owner did mount risers on the bars, so his is a consideration.

Great bike so far. Have put almost 500 km over the past 5 days, and have enjoyed the majoriy of it (a couple of stalls, but just getting used to the bike...)

Thanks.

After doing some research (and trolling the R1200R board), I am leaning toward the Parabellum screen for the stock BMW mount. There seems to be too much dissension regarding the Cee Bailey and Ztechnik screens, but the Parabellums don't seem to have as much controversy. I won't be buying until after the winter, so I have plenty of time to be swayed either way. Any more input?

Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
1972 Honda CB350 (winter project)

My screen of choice - from the 6 that I own (I sold one a few weeks ago!).. has become the Cee Bailey original R1200R screen. I have it in 3 sizes, that I had been swapping around depending on the season of the year. So far though, I've stuck with just one for almost a year now.. If it gets cold enough this winter I'll throw the taller one I have on.

Back