• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need quick help, 05 1200gs, might have bearing going bad on the roadtrip

espressoforyou

Thanks for your help. I finally pick my 2005 r1200 GS with 40,000 miles on it, up from Bloodworth after it being in their shop for FOUR MONTHS. They replaced the counterbalance shaft and seal. I picked it up today and everything sounded great for 20 miles but then I started hearing a whriling sound from the front of the engine. After 50 miles it started to have a gravely sound. At first I thought it might be a bad alternator belt. Now I think it might be a bad bearing. Should Bloodworth have replaced the counterbalance shaft bearing? Also could they have damaged something when they replaced the counterbalance shaft? Any thoughts or suggestions?

With so few miles since repairs, I think that you need to take it back to Bloodworths. Since they are sure they fixed it properly, I'm sure they will make you a very good offer on a trade in. You really need to get rid of this piece of crap. It seems to have been in the shop for a new repair every week or two for the past 25000 miles. You need a bike you can ride without constant repairs.

Larry

Larry, I think you are right about gettimg rid of it.

I am at Bloodworth's right now. Found out that it was not the counterbalance shaft that they replaced, it was the counterbalance itself.
Could the tech somehow have caused damaged to the counterbalance shaft assembly and or bearing when they installed the counterbalance?

You need a shop that's better at motors, I suspect...unless your hearing is suspect...

Not certain but any type of odd failure or noise so soon after a repair in that part would lead almost any experienced person to suspect something overlooked in the original work or a poor asssembly procedure....

Bloodworth has it partly taken apart, and suspects the front countershaft bearing

I should know in one hour if it is the front countershaft bearing or something else. Stay tune and I will keep you posted. By using a stethoscope they have isolated the sound to the countershaft bearing area.

Lemon Law?

More than likely the bike was not assembled correctly since the problem is in the same place.

I was not there when it was assembled.

From many years of working on things, the first thing to suspect is what was worked on last.

David

Front bearing is bad on counterbalance shaft

Yep, it is the front bearing on counterbalance shaft. So the good news is that Bloodworth started working on my bike right away this morning and found the bad bearing. They overnighted the parts and I might get the bike back tomorrow. Now the question of who is going to pay for it?

As you remember my bike has been broken in half 6 times to replace the leaking counterbalance shaft seal. Bloodworth has had my bike for 4 months replacing the counterbalance shaft seal. So the question is could the counterbalance shaft have been causing all the seal problems? Could Bloodworth have screwed the bearing up when they replaced the counterbalance and the shaft seal. Should I insist that they replace the counterbalance shaft?
Note: they replaced the counterbalance itself, not the counterbalance shaft.

Had the shaft ,bearings and seals replaced on my 05gs at about 15000.At 75000 now and still good.Hope they get yours straightened out soon. Called the dealer today,new bearings and seals were put in at 11841 miles.Ed

Last edited:
Just got word that they are going to break my bike in half and replace the shaft.

Thanks for getting back to me Ed, I forwarded your post on to my contact Anthony at BMW NA who has been handling my case for the past four months. Anthony is a cool guy and has been working hard on my behalf.

Bloodworth just contacted me and said that they are going to break the bike in half again and examine the counterbalance shaft, bearings and seals. After your post, I am insisting that they replace everything. Bloodworth has been great about getting to work on my bike right away this time and might have it fixed by Saturday. Will keep you posted. Thanks

I still don't get that 4 mth delay.
It would have me wondering if someone committed a serious error then needed a bunch of time to attempt to correct it. Not many shops, even busy ones, want a machine taking up space that long unless absolutely necessary.

Back