• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

V-Stream Windscreens

flyrider

Morning Person
Reading the V-Stream site, I am impressed with the technical explanation of the van Karman vortex and how it impacts the rider. From this explanation, this screen seems ideal, yet some reports would say it doesn't work.

In fact, the more I read about windscreens, the more difficult it is to choose. There are riders who've bought 2, 3 or 4 (and more!) windscreens, attempting to silence the F800ST noise monster, without success.

There's GOT to be a better way.

Would like all the V-Stream reviews (16" and 19" models) I can get. Please...and thanks.

I have the 19" one, which is a lot better than stock. I do wear eye plugs too.

I know you meant "ear plugs", so I won't make the obvious wise crack. How long have you had the 19" and can you provide some detail about how it feels compared to stock. Thanks.

I have a 19 inch V stream that I bought last March.

I like the stock screen better. V stream does silence and gives wind protection, but we have LOTS of crosswinds out here, and it acts a bit like a sail sometimes.

PM me if you are interested in buying it. I can't decide whether to see or keep it and try again.

So far, I don't mind the wind.

I have a 19 inch V stream that I bought last March.

I like the stock screen better. V stream does silence and gives wind protection, but we have LOTS of crosswinds out here, and it acts a bit like a sail sometimes.

PM me if you are interested in buying it. I can't decide whether to see or keep it and try again.

So far, I don't mind the wind.

Thanks for the offer, but...

The more I read, the more I think a higher screen is not the answer. I've read some ST owners switching to the shorter "S" model screen, which got their heads into clear, laminar wind flow and reduced noise. Not what I'd have intuitively expected. Also hear some favorable stuff about Puig racing screen for the "S", which I assume would work on the "ST" model.

Still searching...

:banghead opps! I have had the 19" for two now , the wind now hides the top of my head instead of the center of my chest. Madstead or Aeroflow, I would go if did a do over, and don't complain about the COST!

Windshields are extremely variable bike to bike, and even moreso, rider to rider. I tried three different versions of Aeroflow on an F650 Funduro, and a couple of others too. Never got that bike perfect but did get it good enough when I discovered the turbulence was coming up off the edges of the fuel tank, not over the windshield. I blocked that with tank panniers.

On my F650 (single) Dakar I had better luck - the V Stream works very well, except I still had wind at about eye brow level. I wanted it just kissing the top of my helmet so fitted an adjustable extension to the top of the windshield. I already had it on a K75 and R1150R so moving it to the 650 was easy.

At the National in PA at least one vendor was letting riders try a shield before deciding. I know at least one dealer which will do the same thing. Ask.

P.S. For the technically curious the extension is an Aeroflow K1200LT headlight guard mounted upside down (curve at the top) with a RAM ball on the windshield and a RAM ball on the extension with a short RAM arm connecting the two.

P.S. For the technically curious the extension is an Aeroflow K1200LT headlight guard mounted upside down (curve at the top) with a RAM ball on the windshield and a RAM ball on the extension with a short RAM arm connecting the two.

I'd love to see a pic of this setup

I'd love to see a pic of this setup

Ok, here it is on my R1150R but goes on the same way on a K75 and F650 Dakar.

That is a RAM ball on the outside (front) of the windshield and a RAM ball on the inside of the extension. A short RAM arm connects the two. It is thus adjustable.

That square gizmo on the inside of the extension is a Motofizz thermometer/clock from Aerostich. It is placed where it is so that it is in the laminar air flow up the outside of the shield and inside of the extension. Thus, even though in the Sun, the case gets cooled by the airflow and displays almost correctly. I have to adjust by about 2 degrees on a cloudless sunny day.

Attachments

• Extension.JPG
    Extension.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 108
Hi Paul, Yes every bike windshield is differant. Before my current F800ST, I had a R1150R with a Parabellum tall shield. I could ride all day without ear plugs with very little wind noise. This bike now lives in Mont. :wave:thumb

Very ingenious design. I have boxes full of old parts that I continually find new uses for. Well done sir.

It started on Old Smokey, my K75T. That bike had the "International Shield" which had a nice vertical turn-up at the top. But the wind still caught me at eyebrow level. I took a five-snap shield from an open face helmet, trimmed it to size, turned it upside down, and bolted it to the top of the windshield.

That worked perfectly except in the rain. It worked so well that in rain my helmet faceshield would fog inside and so would my glasses. I needed a little more breeze. So I conceived an adjustable one using the RAM hardware. I happened to be in a dealership and noticed the Aeroflow headlight guards. I looked at the one for the K1200LT, decided it was the right shape and size, so bought one.

That extension was on the K75T when it died in a wreck. Voni salvaged it and a broken chunk of windshield off the highway before they hauled the carcass away. I put it on the R1150R. When I got my F650 I put a RAM ball on the V Stream shield on that bike so use it there too.

I could use a taller windshield but would then have some of the same fogging issues. I like the ability to adjust where the breeze goes.

Last edited:
Went to my BMW dealer yesterday and ordered the V-Stream model 2430 (16"). Ztechnik is an OEM supplier of BMW windscreens, which is a point in its favor. The choice of the 16" was motivated by two factors: One, it's not monstrously higher than my stock screen (maybe an inch at most) and, two, the configuration appears to have the potential of moving air away from the lower part of my helmet and the sides of my head...which should improve (lessen) turbulence.

Of course, this is all theoretical until it's mounted (should arrive early next week). Then I can test it out. But anything has to be better than the stock ST screen. And I like the look of the model 2430 V-Stream on the F800ST.

Will report my experience...thanks for the input from you all.

Last edited:
Windscreens

I have the ZTechnik model Z2431 and I like it. I wear ear plugs too and it is much quieter than the stock windscreen. There is a turbulence around my neck but nothing bad-on hot days it can be refreshing. I can feel the wind going around and over the top of my helmet. All and all I'm pleased with the ZTechnik.

Back