• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Decisions,Decisions

Noticing your from Minnesota. I live in the opposite direction in the state. I live up north a mere 150 miles from the nearest dealer. Been enjoying life with the dealer since 94. I believe this state has two very popular dealers that each has a following. I just did the four courners this year and thought about what if she breaks down. I think I had a better chance to get speeding tickets. No tickets and no break downs. Between my first (k75rt) and now second (r1150rt) I have about 180 thousand miles. So far so good. lost a fuel pump once but was by home. That was after running the tank all most dry a couple of times. I think operator failing to gas up more often may have been to blame for the fuel pump issue. Unfortunately out west there were too few stations. I seem to use tires. buy the bike.

i guess a few light bulbs and the ability to remove a wheel and and plug

a tire or fix a tube (and then be able to reinflate it). a lot of duck tape and tie wraps. probably a shop manual is a good thing to have. (of course, a working flashlight)

of course, i don't think i've ever seen a post here about anybody with a failed headlight. must happen but must be very rare. i know my brother still has the original headlight in his '92 hog.

Last edited:
of course, i don't think i've ever seen a post here about anybody with a failed headlight. must happen but must be very rare.

It happens all too often. I've seen several threads from folks trying to figure out how to replace bulbs on various RT models. I've also seen a couple of threads about crispy wiring and/or connectors at the bulb.

Having gone from an oilhead to a harley and just talking purely about the mechanical issues:
1. The oilheads require more maintenance than the Harley. I'm comparing a R1100R to an O8 Heritage Softail. But any bike with adjustable valves is in the same boat as the valve adjustments on the R bikes are fairly regular. A lot of the maintenance for either bike can be done by the owner ( if they are capable ) but the Harley is far simplier with no valve adjustments. The other stuff is common to both bikes, clutch adjustments, cable adjustments, oil changes etc.
2. Dealer network can be a real issue if you have problems. That is something that was always on my mind when I had the Oilhead, so I carried some of the hard to get parts like the Hail Sensor. A case in point a friend of mine and I were on a 3 Flags Ride a couple of years ago. He was driving a 01 HD Ultra ( I was driving my R1100R ) and the stator went out of his bike. It happened in a very small town ( pop about 75 ) north of Taos NM. There was a local guy who built choppers and was able to source the parts and repair my buddies bike in a day.
3. Are you mechanically inclined or do you need a dealer for routine maintenance & repairs.

In my view the above are the main mechanical issues you have to concern yourself with. No matter what anybody says they are a real issue but only you can determine if its anything you should worry about. Many BMW & Harley bikes go 10's of thousands of miles with no issues, but when they do break it can be a real pain. The more mechanical knowledge you have in looking after your bike makes a big difference in eliminating break downs.

All bikes have their problems and BMWs are no different. My ’06 RT is currently on its 3rd final drive. That said it’s been a great bike otherwise. I’ve also had a number of Harley’s, and they too have their issues. In the early 90s they had problems with the wiring harnesses. There was also a large number of faulty voltage regulators reported. I the early 2000s there were a large number of overheating issues reported.

No bike is a sure thing. Buy the one you enjoy, keep it well maintained with a good roadside assistance plan and an anonymous book, and hope for the best.

And always remember what the stranger said in movie The Big Lebowski, “Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.”

Easy:lurk

... In my earlier years I was a motorcycle mechanic for Honda,Yamaha, and Suzuki. I enjoy put-zing on my current bikes. ... I live in SW Minnesota. My nearest BMW dealer is 90 miles and the next is 180 miles away. ... Thanks

Go for it. Judson in Lake Crystal has great service. Skip Leo's if you can and opt for Moon if you have to.

I lived in Marshall area for three years with an airhead. I got some good advice and info from Skeeter in Olivia as needed and there's an Indy shop in Marshall that does good work if you're in over your head (which I doubt is going to happen given your level of experience).

In fact, there's a guy here in central NE with an 04 1150 RT for sale if you're up for a road trip...:whistle

cry...cry....cry...u sound like an old lady
why are you even riding a motorcycle !!!!!!!!

Decisions,Decisions
First of all, I am a very frequent visitor of this forum and look here for expert advice. I have been motorcycle for over 40 years. In my earlier years I was a motorcycle mechanic for Honda,Yamaha, and Suzuki. I enjoy put-zing on my current bikes. A 2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra and a 2012 G650GS. I have been riding Harley over the past 20 years and this brings me to my question. I have the urge to try something different. I always have had the love for the boxer engine ever since my cousin bought one back in the early 70's. My Harley's have always been rock solid. The dealer support is everywhere. I live in SW Minnesota. My nearest BMW dealer is 90 miles and the next is 180 miles away. It seems like they are disappearing like flies. I am really interested in a R1200RT. I average around 12,000-14,000 a year touring. In Minnesota that is a lot for about a 6 month riding season. Should I be worried about the available dealers,worrying where maybe the closest dealer is on the road, parts availability, and going from my great experience with Harley Davidson to the unknown experience? I know this is a BMW forum so many answers may be bias. But lets hear it anyway. Thanks

Last edited:
cry...cry....cry...u sound like an old lady
why are you even riding a motorcycle !!!!!!!!

Seems like the OP asked a legitimate question to me ... long time H-D rider, in a land far, far, away, wants to know if BMW motorcycles are sufficiently supported to warrant purchasing one.

Think your way through the worst case scenario and see how badly it pisses you off.

Could go like this

1) Be one othe alleged 4% that have an FD failure on Sat in Canada, a remote town, or just leaving for a planned vacation
2) Realize pretty much every BMW place is closed Sun and Mon so you lose 3 days before you can even begin to address it. (Note- there are a few rare exceptions and maybe you'll get lucky with the Anon. Book)
3) Take another week minimum to get parts and rebuild or maybe 3 weeks if you need a whole new FD and there are none in the US because others already needed the inventory.
4) Eventually get it back running in a week to a month but only after your planned trip or vacation is messed up, perhaps at significant extra expense.

I doubt there is an equivalent issue with a Harley- hard to imagine anything on one of those that can't be found or done fairly quickly. But then, do you really want to ride an overweight, ill handling thing in twisties anyway??

i don't let the worst case scenario bother me but then, I'm retired with plenty of time to do as I choose and a passable wrench when I need or choose to be. Doing all my routine work keeps me current on bike systems and construction and I carry necessary tools and info while touring plus a few critical spares (but NOT an FD! Way too heavy). I also don't leave for a trip without a careful examination of the bike to know eveything is OK at departure. And the bikes see routine use so there is plenty of other chances to spot and rectify porblems "at home". The only roadside fix needed on mine or the SOs BMWs in the past couple years has been an fpc on my RT, a very simple job if you know what to do- took longer to clean the corroded connections at the pump than to do the rest of the job..

Last edited:
Should I be worried about the available dealers,worrying where maybe the closest dealer is on the road, parts availability, and going from my great experience with Harley Davidson to the unknown experience? I know this is a BMW forum so many answers may be bias. But lets hear it anyway. Thanks

Come out of the darkness and into the light ! BMW's are fine bikes capable of anything you care to do with them. I will tell you that, without exception, EVERY HD owner that moved over to BMW's I have either talked with or convinced to try a BMW have had an eye-opening experience and readily admit that the beemers are better machines in all respects. You can purchase a stock BMW and have a great ride with excellent performance that you will not have to buy Stage 1, Stage 2, Power Commander and whatever else to make it perform properly.

The R bikes (boxer engine) are very easy to work on, even compared to anything HD makes. Many of us do most of our own work, and the availability of a tool called the GS-911 lets us play with the computers and reset maintenance alerts.

If you join the MOA, you have access to the Anonymous Book that is a great resource should you nave any problems on the road and need assistance in the unlikely event you have a mechanical failure.

Yes, there is life after HD, regardless of what the HOG's tell you. Your only real issue with going over the BMW is that your Harley buddies will think you have lost your mind. And there will be comments like "When are you going to start that thing?".

Last edited:
I have been riding BMW's since 1975. I have only broken down once where I couldn't fix it myself. This was back in the 1980's. I was riding somewhere in Maine. I had absolutely no clue where I was. So, I took out my BMWMOA Anonymous Book and found the only BMW dealer in Maine.

Me: My bike broke down and I need help.
Dealer: Where are you?
Me: I have no clue. Some where on the coast of Maine.
Dealer: Describe where you are.
Me: I took this long winding road, and now I am next to the ocean and unbelievably I found this telephone booth in the middle of nowhere.
Dealer: Oh... I know where you are. See you in a couple hours.

In a couple hours the dealer showed up with a pickup truck. Two days later I was back on the road.

It doesn't matter how many dealers there are. You just need one good one. Most of the BMW dealers are pretty good. With the BMWMOA Anonymous Book you really don't have to worry about it too much.

Should I be worried about the available dealers,worrying where maybe the closest dealer is on the road, parts availability, and going from my great experience with Harley Davidson to the unknown experience?

You'll enjoy your BMW ... go ahead, dive in, the water is fine.

It's impressive to realize that the guy in the picture below rode his scooter from S. America to the Arctic Ocean, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I wonder how much sleep he lost worrying about dealer support along his route? :scratch "Certainty is the natural enemy of adventure."

P.S. I recall my father telling me of a trip he and his brother took from Kansas City to L.A. and back ... around 1928 or 1929 on a 1920-something Harley-Davidson. Dirt roads, flat tires, roadside repairs, and sleeping alongside the dirt "highway" at night. That story always made me feel like such a softy (which I am).

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Well, I did it!

First of all, thanks to all of you, with the comments, advice on my decision. I took my Harley to the BMW dealer yesterday to make the deal. I have a new Tri-Color R1200RT on order and most likely won't see it before there's snow on the ground. I took off yesterday morning on a beautiful still clear day. Did I mentioned that it was 28 deg when I left? The dealer couldn't have been any better to work with. Now I have to decide how to paint the rear trunk since the bike is the brown/tan color. I'll come up with something. Also looking at engine roll bar options ect. There will always be something to buy.

Back