• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

12 hour time and the clock on the rt-p

Bmandiego

I've a 2000 r1100rt-p.
The clock is currently running on 24 hour time.
Is it capable of running on a 12 hour mode, or is it a German/rt-p thing (Ve VILL be runnink in das zwanzig vier stunde uhr!!!)?
I tried to hold down both buttons with ignition off and with the ignition on (but not running), but neither mode gave me anything.
Is there a method for resetting the clock?

Agreed !
Am/pm is a useless convention when most of the world uses the 24 hour convention.

Kind like the metric system. When will we ever catch up ?

The non RTP bikes also have the 24 hr clocks. I just start mine at noon instead of midnite since my riding is mostly during the daylight hours.

every part of Europe I've seen uses the 24 hour clock, thus this is what kind of clock our bikes have.

It is a pretty good way to get used to a 24 hour clock if you are not currently
well versed in the 24 hour method.

I much prefer it...but was forced to use it in the military.

Ken

It's a minor irritation, but still, an irritation none the less. My $20.00 Casio watch can easily be switched back and forth from 12/24 hr time. It wouldn't seem like rocket science for BMW to include that feature. Just my opinion.

It's a minor irritation, but still, an irritation none the less. My $20.00 Casio watch can easily be switched back and forth from 12/24 hr time. It wouldn't seem like rocket science for BMW to include that feature. Just my opinion.

Get another $20 Casio watch and tape it to your dash. "Problem" solved.

Since we're talking about a police bike, it makes sense to use the 24-HR "military time" as it's referred to in the USA. Show me a PD that uses AM/PM time. I bet you can't.

His bike may be a PD model, but actually, all of the R models use the 24 hour clock. So either BMW figures that most of their R models sold in the USA will be used by police, or they think that the American market is just too small to justify being able to switch modes. Perhaps they are simply not aware that this small country is not planning to adapt all of our clocks to the 24 hr format anytime soon. I'm not sure which of these scenarios it might be.

I did notice that Honda doesn't seem to share BMW's viewpoint. The Goldwing has a 12 hour clock. Real easy to read. No calculating required.

I don't much care for the 24 hour clock either. I am a federal employee and we use the 24 hour clocks with 100 clicks to an hour. That can be really confusing.

Agreed !
Am/pm is a useless convention when most of the world uses the 24 hour convention.

Kind like the metric system. When will we ever catch up ?

And if you switch to metric you only need to count to 10 and then just add or subtract a few zeroes here and there! :laugh

The metric system has a very storied and mostly political history in North America.

Canada began going metric in 1970 and the US was to follow suit. In 1971 the 1968 the US Metric Study began and reported in 1971 that the US should go metric. In 1975 the Metric Conversion Act was signed by Congress but no firm dates were stated. Agreements were signed with Canada who by then was almost fully metric. These went out the window and without firm commitments things stalled south of the 49th.

Then Reagan got elected, disbanded the US Metric Board and killed all the funding for metric conversion. Since then there have been all sorts of metric conversions here and there like on packaging but not a total switch. In 2007 though, NASA decided to use metric units for all further operations on the moon when it returns.

I guess that's progress?

Back