• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

12 hour time and the clock on the rt-p

I've a 2000 r1100rt-p.
The clock is currently running on 24 hour time.
Is it capable of running on a 12 hour mode, or is it a German/rt-p thing (Ve VILL be runnink in das zwanzig vier stunde uhr!!!)?

You don't like the 24 hour clock? You VILL use it and you VILL like it!

Amazing, isn't it? The Motronic will adapt to a dozen engine conditions, the rear shock can be adjusted for weight, the seat for your height, but the clock stares out at you in military time.

I would look at the positives here:

1) Next time you're on a long trip, when you look at the clock, and is says 05:00, you won't have to wonder, "Is that AM or PM?"

2) BMW has made your life simpler. No longer are you faced with that awful choice, "Which mode will I use today, 12 hr or 24 hr?"

3) You can impress your friends, "See you at fourteen-thirty." They won't wonder if you plan to arrive in the middle of the night.

His bike may be a PD model, but actually, all of the R models use the 24 hour clock. So either BMW figures that most of their R models sold in the USA will be used by police, or they think that the American market is just too small to justify being able to switch modes. Perhaps they are simply not aware that this small country is not planning to adapt all of our clocks to the 24 hr format anytime soon. I'm not sure which of these scenarios it might be.

I did notice that Honda doesn't seem to share BMW's viewpoint. The Goldwing has a 12 hour clock. Real easy to read. No calculating required.

Not all R's have a 24 hour clock. My R1150R has a 12 hour analog clock.

I am glad to see that many people on this forum have a good sense of humor. Life is pretty short to worry about such small things. They are great bikes. I haven't found any machine yet that was perfect. I just need to remember that more often.

24 hour mode only.

I sure thought you could toggle...I don't have an owners manual for an RT laying around. I thought I switched a buds to 12 hour somehow. After we swapped batteries it defaulted to 24. Sure seems we got it to swap back to 12hr.

I thought a lot here:dunno

It's a minor irritation, but still, an irritation none the less. My $20.00 Casio watch can easily be switched back and forth from 12/24 hr time. It wouldn't seem like rocket science for BMW to include that feature. Just my opinion.

True, but then look at it from the manufacturer's perspective. Of all the bikes they build, the only people concerned with AM / PM are the North Americans, and it's only some of those.

To make that simple change would cost a bunch of money just to satisfy the 1/2 of one percent of all bike sales. They would have to changes all the bikes, or, (more expensive) make some bike's "North America Only". It's bad enough there are KPH and MPH speedos. Not gonna happen.

I used to work for Volkswagen, they build some awesome, cool cars that never hit the US shore, only because the US government requires some dumb stipulation or overly redundant safety testing to offer a car here for sale. When you consider how small the US market is compared to the entire world, VW simply doesn't import the nifty car.

Mercedes did the same thing with their diesel engine for a few years. The US imposed a restriction the rest of the world didn't have, and Benz held back on diesel imports until things settled down.

Last edited:
The clock on my 07 R1200RT is a 12-hour clock. I also checked my owners manual, and it doesn't say anything about being changeable between 12- and 24-hour settings.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

My Ducati has a 12 hour clock. Fortunately for me, it also indicates AM or PM. Saves me getting confused as to whether its day or night when I'm riding at 3:00 in the afternoon or, according to my BMW clock, 15:00.

:D

To make that simple change would cost a bunch of money just to satisfy the 1/2 of one percent of all bike sales. T.[/QUOTE said:
Is that really the case? I just always assumed that the US market was larger than that for BMW. Although, related to that, I am always stunned when I read the hugely disproportionate sales number of Harleys to BMWs in this country. Baffling,... at least to me. If it is indeed that small a segment of their sales, I could see why BMW doesn't bother making it a 24/12 type clock. I usually trust their judgment.

I would also agree that the K75 seemed to be pretty close to a perfect machine, and I've never even owned one.

If BMW put in a 12/24 switch, the thing would break and render the entire RID nonfunctional. Leave well enough alone.

Rod

Back