• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aluminum spray cleaner Eagle One

Stan_R80/7

Since the topic has come up before, both in ON and airhead news - here is a product that is acid based which cleans aluminum very well. Degrease the aluminum before use.

http://www.eagleone.com/mag-wheel-cleaner#

Autozone sells this, and also includes the MSDS:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-wheel-cleaner/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=286633

This is the real deal and will clean aluminum wheels, and/or the aluminum hubs, forks, and engine. However, it is nasty stuff. Heed the warnings and follow the directions carefully.

The primary ingredient is phosphoric acid and a secondary ingredient is hydrofluoric acid, which is extremely hazardous (i.e. it will hurt you). Wear gloves, glasses, use outdoors upwind of the spray, and have a garden hose at the ready when using this product. If you get it on you, rinse immediately with the hose. It does a really good job and requires almost no effort to bring old aluminum back to like new, but must be used carefully.

It may turn some aluminum dark. I'm thinking a friend tried it and the tranny housing turned dark gray and he wasnt very happy.

My intention for posting the brand and type of spray cleaner was for information purposes only. Use at your own risk. No guarantees are implied. The cleaner is a spray acid - be extremely careful with its use.

Now for some before photos:

transmission:

trans_before_zps21c76d11.jpg

Left Bing carburetor - right Bing was sprayed (forgot the before photo):

left_bing_before_zpsf887adf2.jpg

AFTER PHOTOS

Lower half sprayed

trans_after_zpsf26fd641.jpg

Right Bing carburetor

right_bing_after_zps9114d1b7.jpg

As stated above, use at your own risk. As originally claimed, this is the stuff talked about in the BMW ON and Airhead news magazines to clean aluminum.

Last edited:
Stan, you may want to put it in a small container and use a brush to apply it. It will eventually eat the cad coating off of the hardware.

It may turn some aluminum dark. I'm thinking a friend tried it and the tranny housing turned dark gray and he wasnt very happy.

Put me in that category, it turned my engine covers (top and front) dark(er) grey. I think it has something to do with the silicon in the alloy used in the die cast parts (vs. the sand cast block).

Back