• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help with on road tire repair

kurtnocal

We are new to road bikes. We just bought new 2013 F700GS. Can anyone suggest a good system for tire repair for when we are off the beaten path? Thanks,

Tubeless tires I understand.

I have had the best luck with the black or brown "gummy worm" type plugs that come in a plugging kit at almost any auto parts store. I like the kind labeled for belted radial tires because they are resistant to cutting if a tire has a steel belt. Get the kit with T handles if you can, and if you have room to carry them because they are easier to use than the kits with tools with screwdriver type handles.

I have had the best luck with the black or brown "gummy worm" type plugs that come in a plugging kit at almost any auto parts store. I like the kind labeled for belted radial tires because they are resistant to cutting if a tire has a steel belt. Get the kit with T handles if you can, and if you have room to carry them because they are easier to use than the kits with tools with screwdriver type handles.

That's what I carry, plus a small air pump I can plug into the bike.

Tubeless tires I understand.

Everything Paul said - seconded - motion passed.

The Tee-handles give you so much more torque when reaming the hole (necessary to prep for the string plug) and the proper application of the repair itself.

My kit also includes a little bottle of White-Out (mark the hole once you find it - in the dark, you may not find it again once the intruding object has been removed, a needle-nose pliers to pull out the offender, and some rubber cement (Vulcanizing Glue even better, but hard to find) to lather up the worm-plug before insertion.

Then a sharp knife (not razor blade - too small - will probably end up cutting yourself before you finally trim off excess plug material!) and all you're left to do is inflate.

For that, I use a Cycle Pump 12v compressor, with in-line gauge -several other good brands on the market.

Practice this all a couple of times the next time you switch tires (keep one of the old ones and drill "nail holes" into it) and you'll possess the confidence you will hopefully never have to use.

And remember - a plug is to get you home, where you replace the tire as soon as possible. Your life and the life of any passenger is riding on your decision to spend what it takes to put uncompromised rubber back beneath you! :thumb

My kit also includes a little bottle of White-Out (mark the hole once you find it - in the dark, you may not find it again once the intruding object has been removed,...

Maybe that should be a touring tip... or was it one that I missed? :ear A small piece of chalk will work, too.

... or just get a tire crayon for a couple bucks at any auto parts store. One will last you forever - break it into smaller pieces and share with friends :)

I carry and do as Kevin notes and PG stated - it works. T handles, same pump. chalk, pliers, etc. I use compact needle nose bought at HF and always have both an angle and straight pair in the tool set. Practice doing plugs matters and it is worthwhile to take the time to get good at it. Of course, if you have tubes you'd better get good at patches and tire irons...

Only possible exceptions are that I won't even consider plugging a really big hole or using multiple plugs in a hole and only rarely would I replace a plugged tire with a new one. Reasons are several but boil down to the the fact I've never had a plug fail even when doing dubious stuff like plugging a race tire, (a desperation move for sure) and that a failed plug on a small puncture will only produce a slow flat anyway- for which my experience says I'll have no trouble executing a safe stop- have had plenty of slow flats over the years with no issues. But I rarely ride 2 up and don't need to convince anyone to do as I do. Your own safety and judgement first so if you're going to worry about a plug failure, get a new tire- they're cheap enough...

My kit also includes a little bottle of White-Out (mark the hole once you find it - in the dark.........
As long as we're throwing out some tips, on the bottle of white-out........pull the filler cap out and drop a couple of BB's in so you can agitate (mix up) the white-out back to a usable product after it sits. OM

Correction. . .

Uh, Paul, those aren't called "gummy worms" -- proper name is Gorilla Snot. When you gain more experience, you'll pick up more of the correct terminology, and will be able to communicate better. . . heck, you might even learn to do some wrenching, here and there!

Great seeing you guys at Sipapu, and glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Walking Eagle

Uh, Paul, those aren't called "gummy worms" -- proper name is Gorilla Snot. When you gain more experience, you'll pick up more of the correct terminology, and will be able to communicate better. . . heck, you might even learn to do some wrenching, here and there!

Great seeing you guys at Sipapu, and glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Walking Eagle

I'm going to quit using my left handed hammer and monkey wrench. I got a flyer from Harbor Freight and they have some wrenches and stuff called sockets or something fer real cheap. They even got a grinder you can plug in and hold in your hand instead of being bolted to the shelf in the shed. It was more exciting than my old Monkey Wards catalog. They even have colored duck tape. I can't but hardly wait till my order gets here so I can take something apart. Wheee!

You could of course get more adventurous and "update" your navigation gear. HF sells a cute little brass sextant that might be just the thing for when the gps is dead. That with an accurate watch and ephemeris and you're good to go anywhere- no more map updates needed.......

Road repair: go to Walmart & buy the cheap but good!!! headband light (with 3 LED's,takes AAA batteries) & place in tank bag- which equals seeing what you are doing! :thumb

What about the tire repair kits that have the CO2 cartridges for filling the tire?

I understand having the little compressor along, and I even own one of those myself, but wondering what people's opinions are of those kits.

What about the tire repair kits that have the CO2 cartridges for filling the tire?

I understand having the little compressor along, and I even own one of those myself, but wondering what people's opinions are of those kits.

Time to tell a Paul & Voni comedy act story. We were headed to a rally in Texas from Kansas. We were just pulling into a small town about 60 miles from the house when Voni pulled over. I did a U turn and went back. Her rear tire was flat. I looked around and across the road was a restaurant with a big empty parking lot and a row of trees for shade. I rode her bike over to the shade.

I had 3 CO2 cartridges in my bike - she had three in hers. I put the bike on the center stand and rotated the tire to find the hole. I couldn't find it. So I used one cartridge so the escaping air would help locate the leak. Pssst! But I still couldn't locate the hole. It quit Psssting too soon. So I got a second cartridge and used it. Pssst again but I still wasn't quick enough to find the hole.

Frustrated, I somewhat forcefully exclaimed, "If this $&!# keeps up I'm going to start carrying an electric pump". To which Voni replied, "OK, I'll go next door and buy one".

With my tunnel vision intent to fix that tire I had absolutely failed to even notice that we were next door to an Alco (little big-box) store. She went and bought a pump for about $10. When I first tried to use it the flip handle for the connector on the hose broke off. $%^& #@%^&!!

She calmly said, "No problem, I'll take it back and exchage it". Which she did.

With the pump I could put in enough air to find the hole. I plugged the hole, pumped up the tire, and we went to the rally in Texas.

I still have that pump, fifteen years later. It is in a case that is bigger than I like to carry in a bike, so it lives in the trunk of our car. We carry smaller newer pumps in the bikes. But I still have Voni's pump and use it every now and then.

So, that's what I think of those little CO2 cartridges!

I believe "gummy worms" is the proper name. Gorilla Snot is the yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

Time to tell a Paul & Voni comedy act story. We were headed to a rally in Texas from Kansas. We were just pulling into a small town about 60 miles from the house when Voni pulled over. I did a U turn and went back. Her rear tire was flat. I looked around and across the road was a restaurant with a big empty parking lot and a row of trees for shade. I rode her bike over to the shade.

I had 3 CO2 cartridges in my bike - she had three in hers. I put the bike on the center stand and rotated the tire to find the hole. I couldn't find it. So I used one cartridge so the escaping air would help locate the leak. Pssst! But I still couldn't locate the hole. It quit Psssting too soon. So I got a second cartridge and used it. Pssst again but I still wasn't quick enough to find the hole.

Frustrated, I somewhat forcefully exclaimed, "If this $&!# keeps up I'm going to start carrying an electric pump". To which Voni replied, "OK, I'll go next door and buy one".

With my tunnel vision intent to fix that tire I had absolutely failed to even notice that we were next door to an Alco (little big-box) store. She went and bought a pump for about $10. When I first tried to use it the flip handle for the connector on the hose broke off. $%^& #@%^&!!

She calmly said, "No problem, I'll take it back and exchage it". Which she did.

With the pump I could put in enough air to find the hole. I plugged the hole, pumped up the tire, and we went to the rally in Texas.

I still have that pump, fifteen years later. It is in a case that is bigger than I like to carry in a bike, so it lives in the trunk of our car. We carry smaller newer pumps in the bikes. But I still have Voni's pump and use it every now and then.

So, that's what I think of those little CO2 cartridges!

:rofl
The calm voice of reason. It's definitely a perq of being married to the right person.

I always wanted an air compressor. One day, my wife comes home and says, "Hey, I bought you an air compressor. I got it at Walmart, wasn't very expensive, either." It was a little purple clamshell shaped compressor, the kind that you would take out the innards, and keep the the good stuff in your hardbag while traveling. What was I supposed to say? "Thanks, honey, how thoughtful!"

The following year for Father's Day, I got a card from my wife with instructions on where to pick up my 6 HP, 33 gallon unit that she had purchased for me. :dance

The reason I asked about the CO2 kit is because I now have my very first ever motocycle with tubeless tires. Given the crap that gets dropped on the roads these days, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to be able to repair on the road, at least to the point of getting to a shop and a new tire. As far as riding my "tubed" bikes go, I've been lucky, and have always been home when I've noticed a tire that won't hold air.

Back