• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Removing exhaust bleed system

r80andr100rt

I'm going to give the fittings a little tug and see if they come loose from the cylinders. Would this be best done with the engine warm? I can't see any way to get penetrating oil in as the fittings are on the lower half of the cylinders. I've got a plug kit from my dealer. Any thoughts?

Could be Very EZ

I removed the system from my '84 R100 two years ago. The thing I did wrong was to spend some money for parts I did not use before I actually tried to remove the fittings from the head. When I finally put a wrench on the plugs there was very little effort needed to break them loose and they came out with no problem.
The bike has just under 20,000 miles and about the only water its been exposed to is when I have the ambition to wash it.
I then used Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp RTV silicone gasket maker to install the new plugs and not a loctite type of product and the plugs have not fallen out yet.
Good Luck

I just took them off an 81RT I bought. The came off easily with no problems at all.

Use oil drain plugs and washers to fill the holes in the head and timing cover plugs for the air box.

To iterate the point several have made already, don't assume it's a tough job til you give them a little torque. Mine came out quite easily. 84 RT.

Back