• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Throttle Return Spring '87 K75

E

ERIC1514

Hi all, newbie here.

After a 20 year hiatus, I'm back motorcycling.

I originally went to the Kawi dealer to look at a 250cc dual purpose I could use to commute to work with but I saw this used K75 standing there and it was too beautiful to resist, so I took it home.

I have some questions about the new to me bike ('87), and I'll be here asking away, but one item concerns me right now. So here goes.

The throttle on my bike does not return to idle after I wind up some gas. It will just sit where I leave it like a cruise control (in the garage; on the road, a bump will cause it to return). I have to twist it back. There is no tension screw in the lever mechanism. I can look in the threaded hole and watch the metal part of the twist grip move. I took apart the throttle control at the lever and put some new grease on the little chain and gear teeth. Down at the throttle bodies, there is plenty of spring tension. If I manually raise the throttle down there, the TBs will snap closed.

So my question is, is this normal or should the twist grip return under its own power?

I did a search and came up with nothing.

TIA,
Eric

sounds like the cables are binding or are in need of lubrication. They arent that expensive, and you can leave the old ones in place, and zip tied out of the way in case the new ones ever break. Same with the clutch cable.
I have the feeling that the bike probably sat for a long period without any use, causing what you are experiencing.

It is possible that it will loosen up with use, so ride for a while and see what happens, just dont forget to twist it back to closed when you slow down.

throttle sticking

I personally would not ride again until you get that cable fixed. Riding around with a sticky throttle is dangerous. It could stick at the wrong time and you could get hurt. either get it lubed or better yet have a new one put on.

I'd wager that the bike has been dropped on the right grip, and the hand grip is against the handlebar, causing the friction. Take the small screw out of the switch cover plate and loosen the larger bolt that holds the entire assembly on the bar. Slide it out a small amount and you should be good. The cable could be bad, check it by removing the top end from the twist grip assembly. If it' sbad, replace it. BMW cables are not to be lubed.

Sticky Throttle No More!

God, I love forums.

Thanks to all.

Turns out Bob was right. I loosened the lever assy., slid it out about 3/8" and everything seems pretty good. The twist grip returns now, not snappy, but reliably. I think I was over zealous with the grease I put on the handlebar under the grip and it's acting like a dampner now.

I'll clean it off in the morning and get a new cable ordered just 'cuz.

Thanks again!
Eric

K75 throttle not fully closing

I'd wager that the bike has been dropped on the right grip, and the hand grip is against the handlebar, causing the friction. Take the small screw out of the switch cover plate and loosen the larger bolt that holds the entire assembly on the bar. Slide it out a small amount and you should be good. The cable could be bad, check it by removing the top end from the twist grip assembly. If it' sbad, replace it. BMW cables are not to be lubed.

Found this simple but right on advice from Bobmws while searching for my throttle issue. I could not figure out why my 95 K75RT would not idle down below 2200 rpm. Found I could manually push it down at the TB to get a decent idle but it would not stay closed on it's own. Could not find any obvious binding in the cable or at the twist grip itself and the return spring appeared fine.
the above info did it for me. Not only the right direction for my problem but it is the only place I found that described what I needed to do to make the adjustment. I could not find anything in the Haynes or Clymer books about adjusting the position of the twist grip on the handle bar.
Thanks Bobmws and here's hoping this advice helps someone else, too.:thumb

Back