• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I like the Schuberth C3, but

rickatsf

I like the Schuberth C3, but is a $700+ helmet worth it, especially if it's not Snell certified? Am I placing too much value on Snell certification?

Unless I am misinformed (hey it's happened before), Snell certification requires the helmet to take multiple blows to the same spot. Like would happen in a race car with a roll cage. Motorcycle riders tend to tumble when they crash and rarely suffer multiple impacts to the same spot. Go on Schuberth's site and look around. They are serious about head protection.

I like the Schuberth C3, but is a $700+ helmet worth it, especially if it's not Snell certified? Am I placing too much value on Snell certification?

Yes. :laugh

FMVSS 218 AKA DOT specs call for no more than 250G of force applied to your head. Snell M2005 helmets could allow up to 300G. The current Snell M2010 standard reduced that amount to 275G. The Snell standard is somewhat moot in that the helmet still had to meet the more stringent FMVSS 218 with respect to impact force for legal use in much of the US.

When it comes to rattling your brain around in your skull less force is better. Snell is nice, but not an absolute must have IMHO. Note: If you are racing the race organizers may specify Snell... a friend had to borrow a helmet for runs on the salt flats at Bonneville due to a Snell requirement.

Schuberth meets both DOT and the European ECE 22.05 standards. This might have changed, but last I knew there was no modular helmet that had a Snell certification. This is not necessarily to say that a modular helmet if submitted for Snell testing could not pass, but I believe that Snell will not test and thus will never approve a modular.

As I understand it, the DOT certification process is based on manufacturer's data, not necessarily on independent testing. Snell certification requires actual testing by an independent organization (Snell Foundation), using helmets pulled from a production line.
I wear a C3 and it's the best helmet I have owned. Quiet, light, comfortable, ventilates very well, never fogs, doesnt leak, and excellent features. To each his own. You can certainly find a safe helmet for 1/3 the price of a C3, but on the other hand, an uncomfortable, noisy, leaking, fogged up, Snell-certified helmet is not safe.

As I understand it, the DOT certification process is based on manufacturer's data, not necessarily on independent testing.

Testing is done by independent labs. See, for example,
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/OVSC+Compliance+Test+Laboratories -- 218 is the code for labs that do helmet testing.

Quiet, light, comfortable, ventilates very well, never fogs, doesnt leak, and excellent features. To each his own. You can certainly find a safe helmet for 1/3 the price of a C3, but on the other hand, an uncomfortable, noisy, leaking, fogged up, Snell-certified helmet is not safe.

:nod

Snell certification isn't going to matter to your head if you crash. All crashes are different. If you crash in a $129 helmet and have no head injuries, then the $129 helmet did its job. If you crash in a $700 Snell approved helmet and end up a vegetable, then maybe the helmet didn't do its job.
Only you can decide if its worth it. How's that for helpful ?
By the way, I use a Schuberth C2, but not always. I must say it has been the most comfortable helmet I've had. Since I haven't crashed it, I can't say if its worth the price.

I'll echo previous comments regarding the Snell rating being a non-issue with the C3. The helmet is well worth the cost if not for the superior standards to which it is rated, then certainly for the quality and comfort is provides.

I have multiple helmets from cheapies about 100.00 to my C3 with the SRC.

They all serve the same function. Protecting your melon should it impact something. They test the hell out of all of them.

There is an enormous difference in the $179.00 helmet & the $699 for the C3. That difference is in comfort, noise, dealer & manufacturer support.

My C3 is the most comfortable helmet that's ever been on my head. It is very quiet (as in it's quieter to ride my RT1200 with the windshield up & my C3 on than my Lexus) on the highway at 70-80 mph. The fit & workmanship is very good.

Now, for the good part...when the need arises for some form of support, either from the dealer, or the manufacturer, dealing with a premium product (at an arguably premium price) there is enough profit built in to the C3 that they fall all over themselves ensuring that you're happy, not just satisfied. Even when something does go wrong.

The very best part is you have something protecting your head if (heaven forbid) you have an off that causes you to strike it on something.

Just my .02 & experience.

FWIW, I bought my wife a C3W also, and will buy more Schuberth products without a second thought.

It's not Kool-Aid, it's being a valued customer.

I have a C3 that is a liitle over a year old, and the helmet liner is coming apart. I wear a helmet silk, but that didn't seem to help.

My $40 half helmet saved my life when I got hit. Given the severity of the wreck and what could have happened, I've opted for a full helmet for the time being. I'd love to have a modular, but I can't find one that fits right. I have a log-oval Arai head, and I've found nothing that works nearly as well as far as comfort, ventilation, and sound abatement. My head wouldn't abide more than 30 seconds in the C3.

The best helmet you can buy is the one you don't mind wearing.

I have a C3 that is a liitle over a year old, and the helmet liner is coming apart. I wear a helmet silk, but that didn't seem to help.

Ever considered calling Schuberth and discussing it with them ? I have a C2 that had a problem with the shade not retracting. It was four years old. I called them, they said send it in. They repaired it at no charge, cleaned it up, and sent it back with a new bag.
I was amazed. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

Snell refuses to certify flip-face helmets, so no flip-face helmet can ever be certified by Snell.

I've had mine for two years, and I love it. The foam lining of my prior Shoei Multitec compressed over several years, rendering it eventually too large for my head. The C3 is as snug today as it was the day I bought it at my local BMW dealer.

I ride year-round in Seattle, and the helmet simply won't fog the visor no matter how cold and how wet it gets. The integrated sun visor works brilliantly, and I'll never own another helmet without that feature. Not having to ever mess with sunglasses inside the helmet is priceless!

Despite being festooned with all these features, it's also one of the lightest helmets on the market. If you ride long days, your neck will appreciate the lighter weight at the end of the day.

I've had no issues with buffeting on either my fully-faired RTP or my minimally-faired GSA, and it's been measured by several of the m/c magazines as the quietest helmet on the market. To my knowledge, it's also the only helmet where it's quiet enough inside that earplugs become optional instead of mandatory.

When I need a new helmet, I'll be getting another C3 - unless of course Schuberth has supplanted the C3 with a new model.

As far as long-term ownership costs are concerned, I've found Schuberth customer support to be stellar. When a faceshield retention lever somehow fell out, they quickly sent me several replacement parts at no charge. If you're experiencing premature failures, I'd highly recommend contacting Schuberth North America directly for assistance.

Snell refuses to certify flip-face helmets, so no flip-face helmet can ever be certified by Snell.
Actually - not. The have certified ONE flip-face (about 3-4 years ago.. forget the brand but it wasn't a big name brand. Search WebBikeWorld for details - I believe that's where I read about it. They tested/approved it as an open-face helmet.)

Why don't they do more? The manufacturers of the flip-face helmets haven't submitted and PAID them to do the testing.

That's the hook. In order for them to test a helmet, someone has to pay for the testing. Typically - that's the manufacturer. If the manufacturer sees no marketing gain by paying for the testing, there isn't a lot of incentive to do it. Considering how popular Schuberths are in the US even at a very high price point, I can't imagine why they'd consider paying for Snell testing, especially if Snell is going to test it as an open-face helmet.

Ever considered calling Schuberth and discussing it with them ? I have a C2 that had a problem with the shade not retracting. It was four years old. I called them, they said send it in. They repaired it at no charge, cleaned it up, and sent it back with a new bag.
I was amazed. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
Exactly my experience with them on my C2 (same problem actually).. it came back looking like new, new bag, new faceshield, new liner, new sunshield. Cost was me shipping it to them (they paid shipping back.)

They are probably the best company I've ever dealt with, no holds barred.

Back