• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I like the Schuberth C3, but

Schuberth C-3

The final solution for me was changing out the C-3 liner with an S-2 liner and the problem was solved.
I told them that I thought it was unreasonable for them to expect me to pay $50 for an alternative liner
after investing over $1,000 in their helmet and SRC system only to have the original liner making red
marks on my forehead and causing me discomfort. I told them that I made every reasonable effort to
resolve this myself over a year's time period before coming back to them. They gave me the S-2 liner for free and got
it to me very quickly. The helmet fits like a glove and is quite comfortable, the SRC system functions really
well and I'm quite pleased with the helmet. True, it took some patience and effort to get here, but I'm a
satisfied customer and I feel that Schuberth did everything they could to make me happy. I hope this information
is helpful for anyone else dealing with this problem.

36+ years...

After decades of riding, I now have my FIRST Schuberth, a C3. I have found it to be incredible and I want no other helmet. Now my son is going to get one for Christmas as well. Awesome craftsmanship, quiet, loaded with features and comfort. "That's all I have to say about that." ...Forest Gump

I have tried a C3 on several different times and I just don't get it, must not be for me. When I put my Arai on, its' comfortable from day 1 but I've tried multiple C3s in a few different sizes and they aren't ever comfortable. I'd love to own one, I just can't take the leap when it's not comfortable just sitting on my head.

Schuberth C-3 fit....

The representative at Schuberth explained that the problem with their helmet is based on the shape of your head. He said that
people with round shaped heads (Charlie Brown Head) seem to have more problems with the C-3 than people with oval shaped heads. I
know I have a round shaped head and therefore I had problems. The rep said that the S-2 liner addresses this problem for most people and
the beauty of the C-3 and S-2 helmets is that the liners are interchangeable and can be used to adjust the fit for just about anyone. Arai helmets
are generally recommended for people with round shaped heads like me as well, which may explain the earlier poster's success. I know
it sounds like a load of manure, but the change of liners worked and mine fits like a glove now. Different head shapes, Different helmet fit,
whoda thunkit?

The representative at Schuberth explained that the problem with their helmet is based on the shape of your head. He said that
people with round shaped heads (Charlie Brown Head) seem to have more problems with the C-3 than people with oval shaped heads. I
know I have a round shaped head and therefore I had problems. The rep said that the S-2 liner addresses this problem for most people and
the beauty of the C-3 and S-2 helmets is that the liners are interchangeable and can be used to adjust the fit for just about anyone. Arai helmets
are generally recommended for people with round shaped heads like me as well, which may explain the earlier poster's success. I know
it sounds like a load of manure, but the change of liners worked and mine fits like a glove now. Different head shapes, Different helmet fit,
whoda thunkit?

This has actually been well known for a long time.

I like my Hi Vis Schubert for its comfort,ventelation, airflow and quietness. I do not like the inability to keep to keep the visor a notch or two open for extra air ventelation. even behind a tall GS windshield it closes itself. My old Nolen N 100 will not do that, so it gets used alot in the summer. Schuberth says thats a safety feature, I say a sweaty headed rider or a fogged visor is more unsafe.
Sam

c3 visor drop

Anyone experience the sun visor dropping down on their C3, when it's not supposed to?

My wife wants to get me one for Christmas.:clap

i have a C2 & my friend has a C3 and neither of us experience a visor drop
louisiana

Visor Drop

Never have had a problem with the visor, however, it hits my nose when it is all the way down. Wish they made shorter half visor.

Merry Christmas

The final solution for me was changing out the C-3 liner with an S-2 liner and the problem was solved.
I told them that I thought it was unreasonable for them to expect me to pay $50 for an alternative liner
after investing over $1,000 in their helmet and SRC system only to have the original liner making red
marks on my forehead and causing me discomfort. I told them that I made every reasonable effort to
resolve this myself over a year's time period before coming back to them. They gave me the S-2 liner for free and got
it to me very quickly. The helmet fits like a glove and is quite comfortable, the SRC system functions really
well and I'm quite pleased with the helmet. True, it took some patience and effort to get here, but I'm a
satisfied customer and I feel that Schuberth did everything they could to make me happy. I hope this information
is helpful for anyone else dealing with this problem.

I just emailed them and requested the S2 liner. Maybe they will send me one too.....

I like my Hi Vis Schubert for its comfort,ventelation, airflow and quietness. I do not like the inability to keep to keep the visor a notch or two open for extra air ventelation. even behind a tall GS windshield it closes itself. My old Nolen N 100 will not do that, so it gets used alot in the summer. Schuberth says thats a safety feature, I say a sweaty headed rider or a fogged visor is more unsafe.
Sam
I have considered making a foam rubber "U" shaped piece with a slit for the "U" opening and keeping it in my pocket to slide on the visor to keep it open a tiny bit & assist with defogging.

Arai!

I have an Arai helmet, and I guess I'm due for a new one- based on certain things I've read saying that a helmet should be replaced at maximum usage of 5 years or so...

BUT my point about Arai is they have different helmet shapes for different head shapes. Now, head shapes don't vary too wildly, but DO vary. Fit is foremost in comfort, noise levels, and probably, safety. An off-the-shelf helmet MAY fit, or it may not. A full-fledged Arai dealer will fit your helmet to your head- something I'd never experienced before my BIG $$ Arai purchase. My helmet is actually an extra small size, with the inner pads tweaked to fit precisely. The result? Simply the best fitting helmet I've ever owned- out of MANY.

Looking at racing professionals, you'll see Arai, Schuberth, and Shoei. Of the three, AS FAR AS I KNOW, Arai is the only one who will custom fit your helmet. One other thing I like about them is they are a relatively small, family-owned-&-operated business. haven't looked too closely at either other high-end manufacturers I've mentioned, so I honestly do not know anything about their operations. I DO know that I am happy with my Arai helmet, and will buy another.

I have considered making a foam rubber "U" shaped piece with a slit for the "U" opening and keeping it in my pocket to slide on the visor to keep it open a tiny bit & assist with defogging.
Ha ha, this summer in Alaska mine was fogging and I got one of those extra long plastic coffee stir sticks. I let it hold the visor open a crack and held it in my mouth. Worked ok

I like the Arai and will be looking at them closely. I've already decided to pass on the C3, primarily because it's not Snell certified and to some extent no double-d rings. I've read the arguments about Snell certification requirements and want to thank you guys for your thoughts on the matter, but quite frankly, a $700+ helmet, passing Snell should be a foregone conclusion, real-life or not real-life testing notwithstanding.

I like the Arai and will be looking at them closely. I've already decided to pass on the C3, primarily because it's not Snell certified and to some extent no double-d rings. I've read the arguments about Snell certification requirements and want to thank you guys for your thoughts on the matter, but quite frankly, a $700+ helmet, passing Snell should be a foregone conclusion, real-life or not real-life testing notwithstanding.

Find a full fledged Arai dealer who will fit you to your helmet. As far as I knw, not everyone who sells them can or will do this. As it happens, there is a prominent Arai dealer about 35 miles or so from me and I drove out there to get my helmet. It's The Service Pavillion, who travel with the International Motorcycle Shows, so if you attend one near you, maybe you could have them fit you on the spot.
Their shop is in South Central Pa, near Lancaster.

http://www.theservicepavilion.com/

Sam

Sam - If you remove the visor and install either a 1" diameter O-ring or a 1" diameter furniture pad (those things that go on the bottom of chair legs so they don't scuff the floor) at the pivot point - the placement will be obvious once the visor is off - then reinstall the visor you'll have enough friction to keep it in any position up to about 50mph. Until I did that I was really suffering in high heat and humidity.

Pete

Find a full fledged Arai dealer who will fit you to your helmet. As far as I knw, not everyone who sells them can or will do this. As it happens, there is a prominent Arai dealer about 35 miles or so from me and I drove out there to get my helmet. It's The Service Pavillion, who travel with the International Motorcycle Shows, so if you attend one near you, maybe you could have them fit you on the spot.
Their shop is in South Central Pa, near Lancaster.

http://www.theservicepavilion.com/

Thx for the tip. I'll look for them the next time the show comes to town. Perhaps they'll show up in Salem this July.

I'd be a bit more careful about dismissing the importance of a Snell coverage for that chin piece. Almost 1 out of 5 accidents involve a hit in that area. I've personally witnessed cracked chin bars on rated full face helmets that nonetheless protected the rider. In at least one of those a modular might have allowed significant injuries though there is of course no way to prove that.
I have many helmets for cars and motorcycles and do sometimes use a modular (a Neotec) but it sees less use than my full face ones on the bike- never for more serious play..
I am personally not a fan of the C3. Its shell is huge as has been noted already and the liner is quite hard to the point of being uncomfortable for me in any size. Its good to know they have good service but I was also unimpressed with the build quality. But its relative light weight is a plus..

I've had my C3 for a year now and must say that the only thing I don't like about it is that the outer visor will only stay in the up position when you're going slow.. about 35 or lower... Go faster and it comes down on it's own. Kind of annoying. It's the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned and pretty quiet. Definitely worth the $$$$ to me.

Visor issue can be fixed quite easily. Two 3/4 in round felt furniture pads installed in center portion of visor hinge (helmet side) creates enough friction to hold visor in any position at any speed

Back