• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel smell in garage- K1200RS

GeorgeR1200RT

The bike is a 1998 K1200RS. Had to replace the warped leaking original tank that had already been fixed once by previous owner under warranty.

Problem: there is consistently a faint fuel smell in the garage in the morning after being closed up at night. Does not happen unless the bike is there, so no other source.

Have checked and had dealer mechanic check for leaks in entire fuel system...none have been found.

The charcoal canister was removed by the previous owner.

The dealer/mechanic think the fuel smell is from normal venting without the canister in place. Makes little difference if the tank is full or half empty.

Any one else had this problem?

Any possible solutions?

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.

Cracked quick disconnects on the fuel lines or cracked ring on the fuel pump where the line screws into it.

Search this forum for "quick disconnects" and "cracked fuel pump". Make sure your search goes back a couple years.

:dance:dance:dance

I noticed that around mine for a while when the vent tube inside the tank developed a very small crack due to age. I still had the cannister and it got rather contaminated with fuel. There comes a point where you need to replace all the inside tank lines. Just make sure you use appropriate material for immersed lines and then immersed lines suitable for fuel injection. Good luck, let us know what you find.

NCS

Gas Smell

My 04 K1200gt had a gas smell, it turned out to be the CHEAP plastic dis-connects for the gas tank. Once replaced with METAL dis-connects the smell was gone.:dance

I have an 98 K12RS. I had the same problem about 110k miles ago, it now has 150k miles and counting. It had leak about 4 gallons of gas. Tri-State BMW(gone in the great sky of good dealers) Replace the tank and the flange, and crank case cover due to staining by gas under recall.

Makin it Fun!!
ROC

Cracked quick disconnects on the fuel lines

I don't think the 98 came from the factory with quick disconnects.

Edit: I looked at the parts fiche, and it does show QDs on the early RS.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

I am going to make a check list of all the suggestions to go over with my mechanic.

Keep the ideas coming.

I'll let you know how this plays out.
:type

Back