• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Your "typical" ride...

flyrider

Morning Person
I'm fortunate to live on the edge of town with immediate access to a road that winds up through canyons to the mountains. Out the garage and onto the road within minutes, and only one stoplight near the beginning of the road. As a result of this favorable situation, this ride is my "go to" ride when I want to exercise the F800ST and myself. I often think I need to cross town and head out to other places, but I ride for enjoyment, not to get somewhere. On this road I can ride 100 miles or more (depending on ambition) easily, all of it up and down, sweeper turns, tight turns, forest, meadow...etc. Until winter, anyway...

Was talking to another rider who rides this road, and we both agreed that the same road can be a different experience every time, when you realize that each time you ride, you are different, the light is different, the weather is different, the season is different and the way all these things inter-connect is different.

That's my typical ride. Just curious if others have a "favorite", or if you seek out something different on every ride.

Thanks, and have fun wherever you are...

I wish I was in the same boat, but unfortunetly myself and all of my friends have contracted a disease of "creeping malaise" (apologies to Roger Waters).

We have a variety of nice roads just a few miles outside of Louisville. But over the past twenty years we have ridden them so much that it is at the point that nobody wants to go for a weekend ride anymore. The general consensus is been there, done that.

So for now, my BMW takes me to work everyday and my Duc Monster gets me around town for short errands.

But I still love to ride motorcycles. I just don't go very far on them with regularity.

I often think I need to cross town and head out to other places, but I ride for enjoyment, not to get somewhere.

Flyrider, why does riding for enjoyment exclude finding new rides? You may find other rides that add to the enjoyment.

Flyrider, why does riding for enjoyment exclude finding new rides? You may find other rides that add to the enjoyment.

Hi, Rick: You're right, of course. It doesn't exclude finding new rides. I should have explained better. I'm returning to riding after a break (owned a Suzuki GSX500 in the 1980's). By good luck, I happen to live close to one of the most popular riding roads around here, and it's been a great venue to hone my skills with the new F800ST. And it's easy to ride 150-200 miles on it without ever going over the same ground twice. I am planning to branch out, but for now this road feels different every time I ride it, and it's right outside the door, practically.

So...I'm not saying new rides aren't good rides...they sure are, as the one I'm riding is showed me when I first rode it. The newness will fade eventually, and I'll head across town and ride to other places. It's getting cooler here now, and soon enough winter will arrive. Lots of time for planning.

Thanks for the input, Rick.

<< ... have ridden them so much that it is at the point that nobody wants to go for a weekend ride anymore. >>

I have the same problem, plus sometimes life simply gets in the way. As I've gotten older, there are more and more things that compete for my attention and my time. Ten, 15 years ago mostly I just wanted to ride. Now I sometimes just want to sit and read for an afternoon. Or perhaps the ride is only to the coffee shop where I sit and chat with friends for an entire afternoon. (Yes, I'm retired you envious people.)

As for that "been there, done that" feeling, I find that I really have been most places. Over the years I've ridden in all the lower 48, three different times on three different bikes. Not many places left on my bucket list. I have indeed been a lucky guy.

I find myself riding the 2 laners around my home more often than not. Just an easy 100 or so miles around the resevoirs up north. Problem is I've ridden that ride many times.

To shake some of the boredom, if time allows I've been taking longer 250 mile trips up into the mountains. It's all nice, you just have to allow more time. I almost never gear up and take the bike to just get coffee. Might have to give it a try though.

<< I almost never gear up and take the bike to just get coffee. >>

Makes me think of the old joke about life as an ATGATT rider ...
----------
Ever wonder why I donÔÇÖt just ÔÇ£jump on the motorcycleÔÇØ for a quick errand? HereÔÇÖs why: Shades on, gloves on, pick up helmet. Shades off, helmet on, shades on. Gloves off, fasten helmet strap, gloves on. Key. Key? Gloves off, find key, gloves on. Insert key, engine on. Engine off, remove key, unlock steering, insert key, engine on, kickstand up, ride. Stop bike, engine off, kickstand down, gloves off, shades off, helmet off. Insert earplugs, helmet on, shades on, gloves on, engine on, kickstand up, ride.
--------
This past summer was so hot here on the coast of Kansas that I more often than not used the car (with a/c) for short errands, when in previous years I would have jumped on the bike.

We have two types of typical rides. When we are home for 7 or 8 months of the year a typical ride might be the 53 miles on TX118 in to town, or 92 miles over to Presidio by way of TX118 and FM170 - the somewhat famed "River Road" in the Texas Big Bend, or even the 232 mile ride around the block - home to Study Butte to Presidio to Marfa to Alpine to home via the nearest paved road on each leg.

During the summer months we live on the bikes so the typical trip is a few hundred miles toward wherever we are headed next.

A nice typical ride out of Greenville is to head 276 to 288 to 178 to 215 via 64 for 1/2 a mile, N on the BRP to 276 over Caesar's head back to G'ville. It's probably 150 miles or so. Now that I have the RT I'm riding further. Explored a bit of NW GA a couple weeks ago. Nothing like 6 hours of riding alone to clear the mind.

I live in south Central PA and the riding here is virtually endless- and pretty wonderful. I still don't mind riding the "same old" roads around here. I hope I never tire of them. For fun, I take longer rides around even bigger loops. (usually on solo outings)
Pretty much have all the great honky tonks, "biker bars", and lunch stops sorted within at least a 100 mile radius- and no I haven't tired of them either.

Back