• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Price for an R-26

libwwv

There is an R-26 for sale fairly close to me.......It is a '57, an looks pretty nice. My question, about as general as you can get, is forty two hundred dollars a fair starting price for this scooter?
I sold my airhead GS a while ago, and was looking foe a /5, but for as much riding as I have been doing the R-26 looks like a good fit for me. What I'm trying to say is that I am not a long distance rider and I'm not sure how much riding I will do, but I still get juiced when I see old Beemers ( grew up with R-69'S in the garage ). I came across this R-26 yesterday, hope it's still available, and thought it was the coolest scooter I've seen in a while.
Oh yea, back to the thread, I'm not familiar with the pre-70's and am curious if the asking price is fair or not. I know the question is vague but I'm hoping that you folks can help me out!

Thanks for your time
Will Vetter

If it's not too cosmetically challenged, all the parts are there, and if it runs, then I'd say that's a decent price. Only you can make the final decision.

Realize that you may have to spend another $2-3K to be sure that the engine is healthy enough to continue running for the future. These bikes have slingers as part of the oil pressurization/filtration system. If they become full of particulates, they will ruin the bottom end. So, unless you can be guaranteed that the bike was already worked on by a competent BMW mechanic, you should consider this as part of your future expenditures.

I think its in the ballpark for a good rider. I've been looking myself, they are pretty cool, although most of the ones I have seen all have had a frame fracture on the rider's right, approximately where the engine and transmission meet.

I also don't think you'll be able to go over 45 MPH in one...

buying and selling

Well I had a 1961 R27 with 17000 miles on it, all original. I sold it a couple years back for $5300. It was nice but my leg was giving me problems and I was having trouble starting it.

I asked the guy if he ever wanted to sell it to give me first chance to buy it back.

Well This winter he decided to sell it and I was not quick enough for him so he sold it to a collector in NC for $4500. I would have given that but oh well.

So the R26 doesn't sound to bad. I think it is a good buy. Goes by the mileage.

Also a while back I sold a R26 that I had bought from a estate. NO seat, speedo, headlight or aircleaner/battery case. But it did turn over and had compression. $1600.

Hope this helps............Dave in central IL.

Definitely plan on an engine teardown for the slinger rings, unless you have documented proof that it was done recently. Other than that, they are fairly reliable and getting more expensive to buy.
On the other hand, riding an R26 is life in the slow lane. The one that I had would do 70 with my 220 lbs. on board, but they vibrate like mad at that speed. The smoothest speed on mine was between 35 and 40.

Back