• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Proper Rain Suit Sizing

bikerpaul

I'm looking to get a 1 piece BMW rainsuit and I'm curious about proper sizing. I can fit in the XL or the XXL equally well but that's w/o gear on. I'm guessing that the better size is one that allows you to wear the gear on the inside of the rainsuit although my mesh summer jacket has a rain liner that goes on the inside.

While I'm at it, any feedback on the Pro Rain 3 Suit? Seems to get pretty decent reviews. My main goal is to find something that packs small and light and that fits very comfortably.

I haven't had a rainsuit for years - Aerostich user - but it seems to me the drill for a rainsuit is that when it looks like rain or starts to rain you put on your rain suit over what you are wearing - presumably riding gear. Whereas, with some gear folks get liners so if it starts raining they can take off their jackets and riding pants, put on the liners, put their gear back on, and then proceed. This is at least my view as a touring rider where it might be 103, but in an hour 62 and fixing to rain.

So it seems to me that you get a rainsuit that is large enough to quickly and easily put on over your riding gear so you can get on down the road.

p.s. I also live in the Chihuahuan desert in West Texas 7 or 8 months of the year, and we don't have a lot of rainy days around here.

I would get a size that easily goes over your gear but...................

To me nothing is more aggravating that getting in and out of a rain suit on a day where you are hitting a lot of heavy showers.

I eventually broke down and bought a Gortex jacket and pants. Now I just ride. The worst i will have to do is pull over to do up some vents.

another aerostich user so i don't have/use rain gear but when i did i always got it large enough to easily fit over my riding gear. i also made sure it was bright yellow in color so i would stand out on dark rainy days.

Rain Suite

I have had them all ie, a Triumph Chevron rain suit that kept me perfectly dry if I had a chance to put it on. Liners for all my jackets if you could pull over and zip them in. My Stitch if I am expecting rain but most of all I have all purpose rididing gear that keeps me dry and cool. I have a Frank Thomas Aquapor jacket and pants that breath but will not let the rain through. Do not know how it works but it does work well and was very reasonably priced. Boots and gloves are another story. Good luck and find what works for you.:gerg

I find the Darien gear to be the most versatile, worked for me from FL to AK. Easy to add layers as needed.

just bought a new rainsuit from Rev!It. I watched the Revzilla video for sizing, but they were out of stock so I ordered from Bob's. (revzilla seems to have a vid for all of their products) I owned a BMW Pro 2 couple yrs ago, and had to buy a size up to really, easily get it on over my reg riding gear.

Point is, sizing varies from one manufacturer to another, and depends on how much roadside dancing you like to do. Some suits have a slippery lining that's easier to get past your gear, too.

just bought a new rainsuit from Rev!It.

My mesh coat is rev!it and I like their stuff and have looked at their gear (revzilla). I thought the BMW suit b/c it's in stock but the sweat factor concerns me. I might go Gortex instead.

What are people using from Aerostitch?

I'm also a Darien fan, jacket and pants, now on set #2. Not having to do the rain jacket dance (I also wear Goretex boots and gloves) is worth a lot. For me, Dariens are tolerable up to about 90??; beyond that is uncomfortable.

I bought a BMW Pro Rain 3 in an XL size. I wear a Large in the Tourmaster suit that I use, but I have a hard time getting the rain suit on. Haven't had a chance to use it yet (it hangs in the closet). I'm sticking with my two piece Tourmaster Sentinel suit.

I'm not a big fan of one piece rain suits anymore. I used to think that they would be faster and easier to get into, but a few roadside downpours convinced me otherwise. It's also harder to reach your wallet if you carry it in your back pocket and urgent rest stops can get dramatic. Since my riding pants and jacket are water resistant (but not waterproof) I just use a frogg toggs road toad set. Its lightweight, works well and is probably the fastest, easiest suit to put on. It has pass through pockets so i can reach my wallet and money easily. Some critics claim that they aren't durable, but I've had mine for two years with no problems. At about 60 bucks, I would just replace it every few years. I like wearing a looser suit so that it's easier to put on over my riding gear.

Got pretty mch every type of gear including a Roadcrafter, etc.

Rain gear depends on what you expect to do. A roadcrafter or similar 1 or 2 piece is fine to put on when you head out if you expect to ride in light rain. But if you're concerned about running into real frog chokers while out on a trip (many would simply stop rather than ride in such but I'm not one of those) nothing is the equal of a good 2 piece GoreTex set- it packs smaller and breathes better than anything else. The best place to get the stuff is Cabelas simply because they sell the pants in various lengths so you can get them long enough for sitting on a bike. My GoreTex jacket is 20 yrs old and has been everywhere from offshore boats to hunting trips to the the bike- the pants have been replaced and on a second pair.

Separate rain liners are not an optimal choice for anything. They take time to get on and off, etc. I tend to think of them more as removeable wind blockers that are of more use in the cold than in extreme wet

If you can spring for the most modern hi tech laminates as used by Klim, the higher end RevIt gear, etc that helps eliminate some of the problems of liners but I still like an external rain set if its going to be extremely wet all day.

Of course, on super hot and wet days like you might find in the SE in late summer, it is simply more comfortable to ride into the water with no rain gear and get cooled off- for 30 minute rains this is fine and you'll dry almost immediately afterward..

Like any other gear, experience will help you select what is best for any specific situation. What is ideal varies by situation.

Back