• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Atlanta to Deals Gap

moot

Departing Atlanta on an R 1200 GS on October 9 and riding to Deals Gap. What are the best roads to take and places to stop, enjoy and eat along the way. Returning to Atlanta on October 13.

(I don't mean to be rude, but I've read all the pros and cons of the Tail of the Dragon, so I do not need a lot more information on why or why not to ride that stretch.)

Ride it starting about 15 minutes after first light on Thursday. You won't encounter problematic traffic and can enjoy the geometry of the road.

Ride over to BMW of Atlanta and talk to them. Bring a map,so you can highlight routes. Most of the folks there will be happy to help,as they know the area well.Ask for Bob(owner) he's quite a rider.

Got time to ride the Cherohala (sp?) Skyway from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains? Nice road, great views and a hamburger joint on the river in Tellico that was pretty darn tasty!

Moonshiner 28

28 from Wahalla SC to the Dragon is great. Wahalla would be out of the way from Atlanta, but 28 is a fantastic road. Agree with the recommendation of Cherohala Skyway as well.

I looks like Moot's got a point.

Lots of amazing roads in N. Georgia and Western Tenn. Just pop on one of the motorcycle roads web sites and window shop through the candy store there before going. There's a great BBQ joint just south of Richard B Russell on 129 - get the Brunswick stew and you won't be disappointed.

Holiday Inn Express in Murphy is a good place to stop for the night too.

There's a great BBQ joint just south of Richard B Russell on 129 - get the Brunswick stew and you won't be disappointed.

The Richard B. Russell Scenic Raceway doesn't intersect with 129... it starts on the north end at GA180 and ends at GA Alt75, which runs between Helen and Cleveland.

What BBQ joint are you talking about? emwtk!

The Richard B. Russell Scenic Raceway doesn't intersect with 129... it starts on the north end at GA180 and ends at GA Alt75, which runs between Helen and Cleveland.

Ah Ian, details, details.

How can a guy go wrong exploring that area, looking for a BBQ joint anyway. It's not Kansas! :)

I looks like Moot's got a point.

Lots of amazing roads in N. Georgia and Western Tenn. Just pop on one of the motorcycle roads web sites and window shop through the candy store there before going. There's a great BBQ joint just south of Richard B Russell on 129 - get the Brunswick stew and you won't be disappointed.

Holiday Inn Express in Murphy is a good place to stop for the night too.

Yes, which BBQ place? I'm through there often but haven't noticed it. There area a few in Blairsville though.

I messed up on my previous comment - if you're at the north end of RBR, turn left on 180 and then right on 129/19 it's right there on the right. Jim's Smokin' Que I believe it's called. It came highly recommended and did not disappoint. Brunswick stew, ribs, pulled pork, and sweet potato fries were all excellent - dang, I'm getting hungry now.

You're smack in the middle of some pretty awesome roads there too.

Back