• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is anyone near/in McKinney,TX able to verify condition of a used R1100s?

bstolberg

Need help verifying specs on a R1100S

Need some help verifying specs on a used 2004 R1100S. I am looking at buying the bike, but I am located in CA and bike is in McKinney TX (Dallas/Ft. Worth area). Would really appreciate it if someone in the area could take a quick look and verify condition, etc.

Thanks,

Bolko
(650) 387-1962

Thanks for reading. Have received the info I was looking for.

Bolko

Last edited:
Need some help verifying condition for a used 2004 R1100S. I am looking at buying the bike, but I am located in CA and bike is in McKinney TX (Dallas/Ft. Worth area). Would really appreciate it if someone in the area could take a quick look and verify condition, etc.

Thanks,

Bolko
(650) 387-1962

Last edited:
Why not use the Anonymous book and find a member who lists "mechanical abilities" and then ask if he/she would help you out?

Or, again use the Anonymous book to find a dealer close by and see if you can hire the services of the local service technician.

But, I understand your desire. My brother here in Wisconsin was considering buying an 04 1150 Rockster 80 Edition in Oregon. He asked my opinion. I said get the VIN number and trace it. Then call the local dealer to see if they had done service work on it. Good thing he did. The seller claimed the bike had suffered results of a minor garage fire. The local dealer said it was not a garage fire, but rather the bike had suffered a minor fire incident. Most likely overheated from idling too long. I told my brother to pass on it. Within a week we found his bike at a dealer just 100 miles away!

I like Andy's second suggestion; not so much the first. If a nearby dealer has serviced the bike and has an opinion, or better yet, if the seller will take it to the dealer for a thorough going over (which the buyer pays for) that would be very helpful.

Even if I was mechanically inclined and lived close to the seller, I would be reluctant to recommend a bike which COULD turn out to be a dog. It's one thing to help a stranger in distress, quite another to possibly steer him wrong.

So far I've bought six used bikes. The three Honda's (two CB 750's and one CX 500) turned out to be cheap learning experiences when we started riding. Neither of the old 750's held up well though the 500 was running fine when my wife sold it. The K75 was bought from a well-respected member of the local club and was a great bike until totalled. Current K100 was bought used from a dealer. A few problems but basically been a good bike. Oh, and that Honda 150 scooter also did well until sold. (My wife no longer rides.)

Right in my backyard. PM me the details and will be happy to check it out for you. However I have not seen anything recently for sale that matches your description.....just helped my brother do a fly and ride back to California too. I found him a 2000 1100RT with just 12000 miles on it down in Austin, checked it out, ran the VIN at the dealer up here in Plano for history and then we did all the fluid changes and off he went. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited:
Thanks for great suggestions re. anonymous, vin, etc. The bike is a 2004 with less than 3,000 miles on it, so the risk is somewhat limited (although still present). Safe to assume that I can only blame myself if anything goes wrong.

Bolko

For those of you interested I did go see the bike and it is basically a new bike that has been kept in the owners garage and treated like a piece of fine art. Absolutely stunning in its condition on the outside. Who knows what has happened to it on the inside from sitting. It actually has 2700 miles. And was purchased new from the OKC dealer with 800 miles on it, I saw the bill of sale. So at 8 years old it has only been ridden by the owner 1900 miles or on average 20 miles a month for the last 8 years or less than, .75 miles a day. This is one of those rare finds, but he is also asking a king's ransom for it as well. I will leave the story there and let Bolko tell the rest as he weighs the pros and cons of the deal. It will need to have a new set of tires, they have past thier expiration date, all new fluids will need to be done and a PPI to ensure that everything else, especially the servo brakes are in good shape. it is one stunning bike.

P.S. if anyone is intersted let me know and I will move you to the head of the line with the owner.....for a small fee:whistle.......just kidding.

Wonder if it's the silver one that's kind of hot rodded up that I saw on Craigslist a few weeks ago. He lives about an hour away from me and we've been trying unsuccessfully to get together to ride for like two years now. So I've never actually seen the bike but know (I think) which one it is. If you'd like for me to take a look at it for you I might be able to arrange it this weekend weather permitting. And if that one doesn't work out for you maybe you'd be interested in my '99 R1100S. The wife has been after me forever to sell it.

Send me a PM and we can exchange email addresses.

Thanks for the recommendation for Perry's. My search for a ride has not ended so I may need him as a resource, etc. in the future.

Thanks,

Bolko

Closing the loop on McKinney

First up many thanks to kind and helpful souls for the many suggestions and tips and especially to Mark who took time out on his weekend to look at the R1100S for me. When I started my search for a R1100S I had no idea how to do this on a national level. A friend suggested to join MOA because "they are the best people and resources you can find". While initially skeptic, I am a convert.

So closing the loop on 'McKinney'. Intrigued by a 8 year old 'new' BMW led me to make a couple of calls to the owner. He is probably one of the sweetest, honest guys you can meet on the phone and while somewhat flexible on the $'s, we were not able to come to an agreement. Simple math got in the way. A 2004 R1100S is valued at about $6,000. Accounting for low miles (less than 3,000 vs. 35,000+/-) is hard, but I figure anywhere between $1,000 - $1,500. So we are at $7,000 - $7,500. But, this is assuming that the bike is ready to get on the road and head to its new home in CA, which it is not. It needs new tires (the current ones are the original) cost $600. The bike has not been ridden for at least 2 years so it needs a complete fluid change at minimum, a full service if the BMW dealer in Plano gets his way. $500 - $800. Including these costs the price drops down to $6,200 - $6,500. And this is where the story ends. While the owner bought into my logic, taking a $2,000 cut from his asking price was not on his radar screen. $7,500 yes, but nothing lower. So the search continues: Mine for a R1100S, his for a new owner.

Cheers.

The R1100S in on cycletrader. 2004 boxer prep with 2,712 miles on. Had a member check it out and it's truly a rare find. Asking price is $8,500, but it needs new tires (still has the original mounted) and all new fluids/possibly full service (has been sitting in the owners garage for 2+ years). Could not agree on a price, so the search continues.

What are the specifics on yours?

Thanks,

Bolko

I think he wants to stay with R1100RS, boxer cup version. I can't post a picture off the I Pad but could snd someone a picture to post. This was the yellow color with matching colored wheels. It was beautiful.

I think I know the one. Came upon it on the freeway a few years back. It was yellow alright. Haven't seen it since. Good luck....rare bike.

R1100s

First up many thanks to kind and helpful souls for the many suggestions and tips and especially to Mark who took time out on his weekend to look at the R1100S for me. When I started my search for a R1100S I had no idea how to do this on a national level. A friend suggested to join MOA because "they are the best people and resources you can find". While initially skeptic, I am a convert.

So closing the loop on 'McKinney'. Intrigued by a 8 year old 'new' BMW led me to make a couple of calls to the owner. He is probably one of the sweetest, honest guys you can meet on the phone and while somewhat flexible on the $'s, we were not able to come to an agreement. Simple math got in the way. A 2004 R1100S is valued at about $6,000. Accounting for low miles (less than 3,000 vs. 35,000+/-) is hard, but I figure anywhere between $1,000 - $1,500. So we are at $7,000 - $7,500. But, this is assuming that the bike is ready to get on the road and head to its new home in CA, which it is not. It needs new tires (the current ones are the original) cost $600. The bike has not been ridden for at least 2 years so it needs a complete fluid change at minimum, a full service if the BMW dealer in Plano gets his way. $500 - $800. Including these costs the price drops down to $6,200 - $6,500. And this is where the story ends. While the owner bought into my logic, taking a $2,000 cut from his asking price was not on his radar screen. $7,500 yes, but nothing lower. So the search continues: Mine for a R1100S, his for a new owner.

Cheers.

Don't give up on an R1100S for another model. I have taken some long multi day trips on mine. With a Rick Mayer seat, lowered foot pegs, I can ride all day. I have seen two of these recently with over 90,000 miles and in very good condition.

I think he wants to stay with R1100RS, boxer cup version. I can't post a picture off the I Pad but could snd someone a picture to post. This was the yellow color with matching colored wheels. It was beautiful.

Yes, the goal is the Boxer Prep model. Love the color scheme. Fall back option would be the standard model.
Bolko

I see plenty of them in California, R1100S models, on Craigs, they seem to pop up regularly. Keep your eyes peeled. Keep us informed. I almost bought one for $3000 locally, but decided to hold out & save for a replica model.

Back