Thread: More 1200 Gs on road than 1200 RTs

Cowboyatheart

More 1200 Gs on road than 1200 RTs

I am just finishing a trip from Vancouver BC to Alberta, Montana, Yellowstone Park, Idaho and Washington, back to Vancouver BC. Currently in bed in a Quality Inn in Clarkston Washington. I have noticed on this ride a very high percentage (85 to 90%) of BMW 1200 GS vs 1200RTs. Does this seem strange to you?
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

With 90% of roads in the west unpaved, along with countless opportunities for distant and exploring journeys, and the bike's prowess in canyons and on mountain roads... I'm not surprised. The GS has historically sold very well in western NA, and it outsells the RT by a notable margin from what I hear. The ratio you are observing is eye opening however.

Since the GS outsells the RT that seems normal. While touring west and east europe this summer GS's were at least 50% of BMW's that I saw on the road. While having lunch in chamonix I watched 9 12 GS's go by.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

I have had both and currently on a 11 RT. The RT is best for two up LD Touring / Sport Touring. The GS is best for one up and exploring . Both are great bikes

Figures released by BMW for the past several years have shown higher GS than RT sales numbers, so no real surprise.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Blame it on the "Long Way Around" and "Long Way Down" videos....
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    I am just finishing a trip from Vancouver BC to Alberta, Montana, Yellowstone Park, Idaho and Washington, back to Vancouver BC. Currently in bed in a Quality Inn in Clarkston Washington. I have noticed on this ride a very high percentage (85 to 90%) of BMW 1200 GS vs 1200RTs. Does this seem strange to you?
    I'm riding a GS now but owned a RT prior. I love them both and living in Colorado I find the GS more adaptable. I don't do a lot of off road but occasionally. The older I get the less I like the height of the GS. A good friend recently added a RT to his stable. He says the new RT does not handle as nicely as his GS. The only thing I would change is the height of the GS's center of gravity. Keep riding. C