• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

what is the best GPS

arptra

I'm searching for a GPS and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best motorcycle GPS that I could install routes using map source or other software? considering the Garmin 660ML, thx

The best GPS is like the best motorcycle... there is no one best. What is best for me may not be best for you.

How important is screen size?
How important is ability to use the device off the bike?
How important is voice prompting? bluetooth?
How important is an mp3 player function.
How important is touch screen?
How important is built-in auto routing ability?
How important is weather/water proofing?
etc.

Answer those (and other questions) and you'll be able to narrow down the choices to what is best for you. Look a the features for various models/brands of GPS units and you'll get a better idea of the possible choices.

Marchyman is right.... it's all about what fits your needs.

That being said, however, the motorcycle specific models tend to be pretty pricey, so I'd look on ebay for a used or refurbished one and try to save a few $$.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 550. It's waterproof and gives me all the features I really need. I really wanted a Garmin Zumo, but couldn't justify the extra cost.

Tom,

How are you powering your Nuvi? I have an old 700 series I'd like to mount to the bike but have been told there might be a voltage issue. (The auto cigarette plug wiring steps it down in voltage?)

I picked up an accessory plug adaptor for the bike, and while it works, every time I hit a bigger bump power interupts and it runs through the whole set up again. I'd like to hardwire the unit and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

i'm considering a zumo 660 and was wondering if they have all the functions as the marine GPS? really dont save much money on buying a used gps and that makes me wonder if the older ones are better or have more functions.

What functions are you talking about on a marine GPS? that will make answering the question easier.

any functions they may have like loading maps etc, i really dont know much about them I just want to route trips different ways and easiest.

e gps from thenow need to know the best way to wire eccessories

solved, I went ahead and bought a new Zumo 660, hope it works out. now I need to know the best way to wire the gps from the accessories so it is switched with the ignition.

I'm searching for a GPS and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best motorcycle GPS that I could install routes using map source or other software? considering the Garmin 660ML, thx

Most popular is Garmin, by far. WHICH Garmin is up to you, but if you don't get a waterproof model, ziplock bag it in the rain so you don't destroy it.

solved, I went ahead and bought a new Zumo 660, hope it works out. now I need to know the best way to wire the gps from the accessories so it is switched with the ignition.

Others disagree, but I think you will regret tying the GPS to switched power. It will turn off every time you turn the bike off - gas stops, etc - which is precisely when I usually set my next destination or waypoint, see how far it is to xxxxx, etc. And meaningful data regarding stopped time, overall average speed, etc also becomes meaningless.

True - if you leave it on for a day or a few it may run your battery down. After the first few times you do that you will remember to shut it off.

I actually added a little toggle switch to the power feed line on my F650 so it killed everything including the charger/transformer wo I didn't have to disconnect things.

Others disagree, but I think you will regret tying the GPS to switched power. It will turn off every time you turn the bike off - gas stops, etc

Actually, my 660 and 665 ask me if I want them to stay on (battery power) or off every time I switch the key to off. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, so switched power isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Actually, my 660 and 665 ask me if I want them to stay on (battery power) or off every time I switch the key to off. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, so switched power isn't necessarily a bad thing.

and my Nuvi 205 and Nuvi 265, and 276C and III+ and V, but not the 2610 which has no battery at all. If you notice as you head to that bathroom in a hurry all is fine. :) I don't, so then come back to an off GPS. It annoys me. I just prefer the risk I'll put the bike away without turning off and/or unplugging things. Every now and then I have annoyed myself that way too.

If you notice as you head to that bathroom in a hurry all is fine. :)

Okay, so most of the time it works well on unswitched power. :thumb

I tend to sell old GPSes when new models come out, I loved my 2610, but can't imagine still owning it. They sell for a lot more if you dump them right away.

tom is that 665 worth the 150.00 more?

I thought it was, but I sold a 550 for $450 to help pay for it when it came out. I think my out of pocket expense was only $200 or so. Don't forget it's about 3 years old now.

On the other hand, I had to wait a long time before Garmin fixed the damn software so it actually worked reasonably well. It does now, but it used to shut off on me all the time.

Back