• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

03' RT Brake/Turn Signal Module

bigbear

I recently purchased an 03' RT and I think it may have an aftermarket brake/turn signal control module - the brake lamp flashes several times before burning steadily when the brakes are applied and the turn signals automatically cancel after about 6 seconds (which I really don't like). If the bike does have a module, where would it be and what would it look like?
Thanks!

That sounds nice. Some of them are programmable. I've heard of people mounting them in or near the fuse box, others will reply who have more experience with the units.

Yes there is definitely a non-stock addition back there. It does not necessarily have to be a separate module.
If there is an "additional box", it's likely under either section of the seat, or maybe all the way back in the tail section.
Some brands (like Hyper-Lites, for instance, check their website) just have a very small capsule which is typically mounted within the assembly. If it is a HyperLites addition, you can kill the "flash" by cutting (and insulating) the green wire loop they provide for that very purpose. Other brands will use a different method - you need to know what's actually in there.

It sounds as if you have the Kisan Technologies SM-5 module. It is located in the electrical box under the seat in place of the stock flasher relay. Usually middle row of the box, right hand side.
RB

... If the bike does have a module, where would it be and what would it look like? Thanks!

Funny enough, I had the same experience on my new-to-me '03 RT.
P/O installed the SM-5; it is located in the relay box under the seat. It's easy to spot: a shiny relay, possibly loose, much larger than the other ones.

The multiple blink is their "lane-changing signal" feature - purportedly to bring your bike to attention of others while changing lanes. The multiple blink works only while you hold the switch down; if you press it shortly, you'll have the normal flashing period.

The cancellation timeout can be reconfigured to longer cancellation times, by pressing a combination of hazard/turnswitches while turning ignition on.

Here are the SM-5 instructions that will tell you how to accomplish that:
https://www.kisantech.com/brochures/SM-inst-manual.pdf

Hope this helps. Robert.

Roger/Robert -
Thanks - your responses were spot on. I wonder what other presents I'll find on this bike.

Back