Thread: 03' RT Brake/Turn Signal Module

03' RT Brake/Turn Signal Module

I recently purchased an 03' RT and I think it may have an aftermarket brake/turn signal control module - the brake lamp flashes several times before burning steadily when the brakes are applied and the turn signals automatically cancel after about 6 seconds (which I really don't like). If the bike does have a module, where would it be and what would it look like?
    Thanks!

That sounds nice. Some of them are programmable. I've heard of people mounting them in or near the fuse box, others will reply who have more experience with the units.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Yes there is definitely a non-stock addition back there. It does not necessarily have to be a separate module.
    If there is an "additional box", it's likely under either section of the seat, or maybe all the way back in the tail section.
    Some brands (like Hyper-Lites, for instance, check their website) just have a very small capsule which is typically mounted within the assembly. If it is a HyperLites addition, you can kill the "flash" by cutting (and insulating) the green wire loop they provide for that very purpose. Other brands will use a different method - you need to know what's actually in there.

It sounds as if you have the Kisan Technologies SM-5 module. It is located in the electrical box under the seat in place of the stock flasher relay. Usually middle row of the box, right hand side.
    RB

Quote Originally Posted by Nosvamos View Post
    ... If the bike does have a module, where would it be and what would it look like? Thanks!
    Funny enough, I had the same experience on my new-to-me '03 RT.
    P/O installed the SM-5; it is located in the relay box under the seat. It's easy to spot: a shiny relay, possibly loose, much larger than the other ones.

The multiple blink is their "lane-changing signal" feature - purportedly to bring your bike to attention of others while changing lanes. The multiple blink works only while you hold the switch down; if you press it shortly, you'll have the normal flashing period.

The cancellation timeout can be reconfigured to longer cancellation times, by pressing a combination of hazard/turnswitches while turning ignition on.

Here are the SM-5 instructions that will tell you how to accomplish that:
    https://www.kisantech.com/brochures/SM-inst-manual.pdf

Hope this helps. Robert.

Roger/Robert -
    Thanks - your responses were spot on. I wonder what other presents I'll find on this bike.
    Ken S
    03 R1150RT