• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

98' K1200Rs Fork Seal

mrbrown65

TTU-K100Rs
Picked up this bike in June with only 5k on speedo but the fork seals satrted to leak, they were orginal. I installed the new improved seals from BMW but they only lasted a few weeks. The "new" style were different than orginal and I might have installed upside down. Manual still shows old style. Anyone have an idea?
Thanks,

Mike

Wrong Sub-Forum, should be Brick

(original posting was in Wedges:...Thought you might want to know your bike is a 'brick', so you will get better responses from the correct section). That being said, my fork seals have been replaced only once, but, a '98 with so few miles....either the odo died or it has sat a while and all the rubber bears a good looking at. I do most of my own work (clutch, etc)but have never been able to get fork seals in right on any bike. So, I had the dealer do mine one of the few times it has been in their shop for service. But, if you felt competent enough to do this, maybe do it again once you confirm which orientation is required. The seals have changed, but nothing else there. You may need to inspect the forks themselves to make sure there are no abraded or nicked areas to cut the new seals. Good luck...

Last edited:
Picked up this bike in June with only 5k on speedo but the fork seals satrted to leak, they were orginal. I installed the new improved seals from BMW but they only lasted a few weeks. The "new" style were different than orginal and I might have installed upside down. Manual still shows old style. Anyone have an idea?
Thanks,

Mike

Yup.. easy to install backwards and they begin weeping again soon afterwards.

NCS

Back