• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

SURVEY: Oil filter brand for all K bikes.

BTW, Napa filters for the K bikes are not a poor quality filter. They are made by Wix and
considered top notch by many people. I have never had anyone make a bad comment to me about Wix or Napa products. If you use the one that Napa recommends for the K100 (#PS7936), it cost as much as the BMW filter from your local dealer. If you buy it in a Wix box, you can save a couple of bucks. What filter you have been buying?

Lynn, I know the Napa filters are not poor quality but they are probably of lesser quality compared to the Mann. As mentioned in my original response I've used the Napa 1328 from Napa Auto Parts. I asked for the Wix equivalent one time but they didn't have any in stock.

Anyway, it's OEM for me from here on out. Glad Don managed to change your title, too. Regards, Jeff

'85 K100 -- I use BMW filters (and oil, too, BTW). I buy a case (12 qts) oil and three filters at a time, then have them to use as I need them.

Johnny

Last edited:
I use the BMW filter. As others have said, why not. Might be a little better. I ride enough to only warrant one oil change a year. So the price doesn't get too out of hand.

Also, I have been able to pick up the filters unused from others. Seems you beemer guys keep piles of parts laying around and after you are done with your bikes you sell the pile for pennies.

So I'll buy the filters a few at a time, sitting on about a decade's worth in the basement.

If my bike gives up its ghost before that I'm sure I'll sell them on to someone for cheap as well. And so it continues.

To whomever it was that asked, I ride a K1200RS. But I've owned a half dozen K11s and an '85 K100RS.
The point about there being more to a filter than just the amount of paper is a valid one, so general construction quality should be noted if you are going the "cut it open" route.
As for access to filters, my not-so-local dealer will drop them in the mail for me with just a phone call. I have to pay shipping of course, but it saves the trip and the temptation of buying more stuff once I walk into the showroom.
There are also some guys in the clubs who appear to buy filters in bulk and then sell them off singling at a reduced price. Haven't tried them yet, but have been tempted.

Back