• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keeping feet warm in cool/cold weather

The ones I have are "Little Hotties Toe Warmers", probably from Walmart. They are thin with an adhesive on one side, so you can stick them in place. Not great to walk on for long periods, as you do feel them, but I forget they are there while riding. They have never made my feet hot or even warm, but I notice they are not cold, which is all I want. Cheap, disposable, work in about any boot. :thumb

The downfall to these is that for max heat the need to come out of the boots every once in a while and get shaken to get fresh air. There is a form of combustion going on.

For reasons too long to tell I once rode a K75 about 80 miles in 8 degree F weather. There were no cylinders for my feet to hide behind.

I have always found that R bike cylinders and K bike radiators are only effective for heating when the ambient temperature is over 75 degrees.

The tiny d-rings on those boots are a pain to lace up...

With my first pair of Ft Lewis, purchased, in 1996 and retired in 2012, I felt the very same way. Until I found out what "speed lacing" was all about. I found out when a clerk at the Danner Factory Store explained it to me. Now my boots are on and laced in seconds. No more fiddling around with the D-rings. :dance

Spent most of my life in snow country including riding 12 mths and lots of ice fishing.

Advice
1) Get boots with plenty of toe space and avoid cotton socks or other stuff that traps moisture next to your skin.

2) Response of your feet is dependent on how well you protect legs and maintain good heat and circulation there. That means wind protection and good riding pants help. I use RevIts that have both an insulated liner and a windproof rain liner. With the RT weather protection, that is adequate to low 20s but if doing an all day ride in those conditions I add a pair of modern hi tech long underwear to prevent any moisture accumulation near my skin. Preventing moisture accumulation is a key to staying warm.

2) If you can't get comfortable with decent boots/socks and pants, then worry about adding electrics to your feet. I currently ride an RT in temps down to low 20s and do not need electrics on feet. If you ride in teens or less you will end up wanting electrics and you might want them on a naked in temps as high as low 30s. Depends on individual and bike.

For my RT down to low 20s, my BMW All Around boots with Tech Sox are enough. For more extreme conditions or a naked bike at same conditions I'd move first to an insulated boot and then to electrics if boots were not enough.

If you ride a lot, there is a value to convenience. Gimmicky heaters are just one more gadget that can be absent or not working when you need it while proper basic gear will always be ready with your bike.

Back